Just hoppin' in to say...

Forum for JUPITER-80
scottrod

Re: Just hoppin' in to say...

Post by scottrod »

I would have to say the JD-800 is my favorite synth at the moment and I've been spending a lot of time with it lately.

Regarding the Guitar Collection card set, the seller wanted $179 on eBay so I offered $80 (rejected) then $100 (accepted) which was nice as that was as much as I was going to pay.

I have all the cards except for #6 Grand Piano for which I keep my eyes open. Since I already have lots of nice piano sounds with the J-80 and I-7 in the studio, there's no way I'd pay the crazy money a lot of people ask. Honestly $100 is probably too much but it would be nice to have the full set, considering it is my favorite synth. You know, "Collect all eight!"
motic

Post by motic »

Just hoppin' in again to give you all the best wishes, musical and all to everyone ;o)
Have a good one Clan!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

motic wrote:Just hoppin' in again to give you all the best wishes, musical and all to everyone ;o)
Have a good one Clan!
Happy New Year to ALL !!

Nothing better than begin it with music...a bit of Jazz...

All Sounds from the Integra-7, Recorded and Mixed on Presonus StudioOne 2 DAW

Happy New Year Clan!!

Cheers,
Paulo
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Those guitars sound awesome Paulo! Well done and extremely well recorded. Everything sounds well mixed and in its place. I thought the ending guitar sounded a little thin coming out of that far right field until I realized you were doing a cool pan...boo-yah!

@ Scottrod,
I thought I was only missing the SL-JD80-08 card. Now I realize that I also don't have the 06 Piano cardset you mentioned. BTW, I thought you had your JD-800 up for sale a while back. Good to see that your still getting a gas from that rocket ship instrument panel layout. I still think that the JD-800 is the coolest looking synth ever with all of those sliders but I'll just have to be content with the JD legacy on my four 990's.
JD_JD2_1.jpg
JD_JD2_1.jpg (21.47 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Those guitars sound awesome Paulo! Well done and extremely well recorded. Everything sounds well mixed and in its place. I thought the ending guitar sounded a little thin coming out of that far right field until I realized you were doing a cool pan...boo-yah!

@ Scottrod,
I thought I was only missing the SL-JD80-08 card. Now I realize that I also don't have the 06 Piano cardset you mentioned. BTW, I thought you had your JD-800 up for sale a while back. Good to see that your still getting a gas from that rocket ship instrument panel layout. I still think that the JD-800 is the coolest looking synth ever with all of those sliders but I'll just have to be content with the JD legacy on my four 990's.
JD_JD2_1.jpg
Jiiiiiii, you guys made me wanting to try an old JD-800!
:-)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Jiiiiiii, you guys made me want to try an old JD-800!
It not only sounds great...it is an editor's dream. No menu's and sub-menu's to deal with here lads!
imagesCAV0KJXF.jpeg
imagesCAV0KJXF.jpeg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
What a beauty!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
Jiiiiiii, you guys made me want to try an old JD-800!
It not only sounds great...it is an editor's dream. No menu's and sub-menu's to deal with here lads!
imagesCAV0KJXF.jpeg
What a beauty!
Maybe Roland should go for this type of Editor's Dream setup on their next synth!!
Of course that together with all the most recent bits and pieces like SN, Variphrase, Poly Arps (yes, why not?), etc, etc ;-)
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Ah yes, the return of the JD product line! With the demise of the V synth gt, a new upmarket synth ( sound designer's dream) as opposed to workstation type thing, would be a good way for Roland to go in order to regain or improve their credibility in that market sector.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

With the demise of the V synth GT
What demise? My GT's are still rockin' hard! And with the thousands of absolutely free patches for the V on this very forum from a variety of sound designers, they are still livin' large! Why, I would go so far as to say "I couldn't do sonic justice without my V's in the Soundworld!"

The Dude says "well, you know"...
V abides_1.jpg
V abides_1.jpg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:I thought you had your JD-800 up for sale a while back.
I had two and sold one. Well, actually I had three and sold two.

Lately however I've had seller's remorse and tried to buy back the last one, but he didn't want to turn it loose. I really enjoyed doubling them up for the added polyphony.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Perhaps discontinuation would have been more appropriate than demise.

Merely semantics.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I really enjoyed doubling them up for the added polyphony.
Can you stack the JD-800's like the 990? With four I have up to 96 voice polyphony but rarely use them in that fashion. Instead, having all four buzz saw away on different Vintage Synth expansion board patches fits the bill nicely.
Perhaps discontinuation would have been more appropriate than demise.
Indeed TJ! 95% of my synth's are discontinued and yet somehow music still survives in the Soundworld. of course the old Clanners know that the Doogenator is quite the old dinosaur, employing no computers at all and happily just bashing away on old antiquated gear.

Of course on the other hand if Roland decides to resuscitate the JD line in a new super synth, I may be tempted to lower my discontinuation percentage. Ah I can see it now....the synergistic symbiosis of synthesis in the Soundworld! ;-D
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Hey soundworld! Been a while hope you're well. Just wondering' do the D-70 and the JD-800/990 sound similar at all? The D-70 has a creamy sound the JV/Fantom line don't. Just wondering if some of it's DNA made it into the JD synths. They are half way between the D's and J's anyway! LOL

Stay well
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Happy New Year down there Leon!

Ah the venerable old D-70 will remain somewhat of an enigma. It was indeed an odd beast since although it was thought of as the successor to the D-50, its sound engine as we know was architecturally like the U-220. Its special character and superb effects unit make it well worth keeping. Mine has several sticky keys and the backlight has long since dimmed but the sound engine still rocks!

I would have to say that the JD line is definitely closer to the venerable old D-70 probably because of the outstanding filters used. I remember that the D-70 had 30 voice polyphony whereas the JD800/990 had 24 voice polyphony. The JV/XV+Fantom line had 64/128 voice polyphony respectively. Maybe lower polyphony is the way to go! ;-)) Just joking of course because we always want more notes, but the V-Synth's also have only 24 voice (28 on the GT) polyphony and they sound superb also.

I would say that the JV's definitely have a more "tinny" bright sound compared to the JD's, and even though the XV has a similar architecture to the JV's, I always thought that the sound was slightly superior. I have not done a side by side of the JD990 waveforms included in the XV5080 with the 990's, but I think the ability for stereo waveforms on the 5080 made it stand above the JV's for sure on certain patches.

Not sure about the Fantom though. Some of the patches like "The Vortex" and "Ring Worldz" are just fantastic and I was so impressed with the Timpani drums and some of the stock Strings patches that I bought another XR on ebay.

I think all in all, each family of synth's have a distinct character that makes them unique in their own way and just gives us that much more to crow about. I am quite happy that I still regularly employ my 990's, 1080, 2080, Wavestation SR, Kurzweil K2000 and SC-88 on a lot of my mixes.

I don't really use the D-70 or 01R/W (my first synth's other than the old SC-55 Sound Canvas!) that much anymore but just can't part with them because they still sound great and you just never know when that special sound they have will need to be used on a tune!

All the best for a fantastic 2014!
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I thought the D70 might appear in this thread at some point. My faithful old unit has just had a service and is now a force to be reckoned with! Is it me or does it sound smoother and warmer than the Jd800 and even possibly the 990? If a Roland are planning a new synth, v synth successor etc, I hope they do a 76 note version.