Just hoppin' in to say...

Forum for JUPITER-80
Leh173

Re: Just hoppin' in to say...

Post by Leh173 »

Yes the D70 has a bit of mojo! I wonder what the "secret sauce" in it is? haha! It is way warmer than the JV line as you say Doug, and worth keeping around for those enormous warm pads and synths sounds that wrap around your ears like a comfy blanket on a cold day! I'm working with mine again now, but disaster struck as I hired mine to good friend for a tour and somehow the LCD screen got cracked! So I have perfectly functioning D70 with a big burst ink blot in it's screen… so if anyone know where to find a new LCD I'm all ears!

I was wondering if due to the closeness of their release (1990 and 1991) that the D-70 and JD-800/990 might be closer sound wise than to the JV line. I have a U-220 as well and it has a similar sound to the D-70 without the filters. I'd be curious to buy a JD-990 and see how it compares to the D-70, if I can replicate the patches effectively, but maybe they might be too different. shame they cost a bomb second hand these days! I think that people still use these synths speaks volumes. I reach for my D-70 or Fantom well ahead of my JV-1080.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I would suggest that the JD990 is more versatile than the D70 given that it can be expanded with the JV boards, particularly the vintage board and the patches programmed specifically for the JD. As for sound comparisons, the D70, to my ears anyway, seems to have a 'thicker' sound, even with just two patches layered. I am thinking of the patch 'Floyd Strings'.

With regards to repairing the screen, I have employed the services of an ex Roland service manager here in the UK who may be able to advise on part numbers etc and can furnish you with his details if it helps.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Yes that's my experience too that the D70 just has a warmer thicker sound to it… just wish they'd made a rack version…

I'd be interested to get the details of that ex Roland service manager from you and see if he can help me. Can you send me PM with the details? Thanks.
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Can you stack the JD-800's like the 990?
No, but what I would do is say, for a patch that used two tones, one synth would get one tone each effectively doubling the polyphony.