JP-80 not responding to midi patch change information

Forum for JUPITER-80
glenncaw

JP-80 not responding to midi patch change information

Post by glenncaw »

Hello. My problem is getting my JP-80 to receive patch change information from a midi controller.

I currently use a “Midi Patch Changer” device that I have programmed to change my Fantom X7 and Juno Gi which are linked together by midi, with a single entry code that I enter on a simple key pad. I have recently added a VR-09 to this chain with success (for basis patch bank changes) but I am having a lot of trouble connecting my JP-80 in the same way.

I have read the JP-80 user manual, researched my method on this forum and other internet sites, and I understand what to do. I am confident that I have set up the 4 midi channels for the 4 parts on the JP-80 correctly and have entered the corresponding channel information along with Bank and PC numbers on the “Midi Patch Changer” but they are not communicating?

Has anyone had this sort of problem? JP-80 is not responding at all to the midi information while the other 3 boards in the midi chain are working fine. The VR-09 actually is connected by midi-through. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested, my “Midi Patch Changer” device can be researched on the MusicTechologies website. It’s a great unit that streamlines and speeds up patch changes on multiple keyboards – great for live performance in poor lighting conditions.
TJ80

Re: JP-80 not responding to midi patch change information

Post by TJ80 »

Hi,

Are you trying to send registration programme changes or trying to change the live sets within a registration?

I am not sure if it's possible to do the latter.
glenncaw

Post by glenncaw »

Hi TJ80
Just to be clear, I am not trying to send / transmitted the midi data from the JP-80 but to have it receive and respond to Midi patch change information from my controller. The JP-80 User Manual lists all the relevant Bank and Patch Change information for changing Registrations, Live set and Live sets. This infers that I should be able to control or change the Patches remotely. I currently do this will various other Roland Keyboards simultaneously linking them together by Midi. While I have had to add a short Sysex message to my controller along with Bank and Patch information to tell my Fantom to change from Patch to Performance mode as required to change patches of one type to another, that board responded to my midi controller information without this added information albeit sometimes incorrectly. It did however respond to the external command. But in the case of the JP-80 there is absolutely no response to the external commands?

I have run a number of tests trying to send midi patch change information to the J-80 for all three types of sounds: Registrations, Live set and Live sets, with absolutely no response. I would have expected at least one of these to provide some response?
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hi there.

Yes, I realise that you are not trying to send from the jupiter, but to get it to receive programme changes.

I send registration changes to my JP80 from a Roland A90 and sometimes from an AX7 without any problems, although I haven't tried sending bank changes etc

Can you do this from one of your other roalnd keyboards?

I had a look at the manual and the JP80 itself yesterday and there isn't much in the way of midi switching options with regards to programme changes anyway other than device id, receive on/off and setting the channel on which the programme change is set.
glenncaw

Post by glenncaw »

Hi
I haven’t actually tried controlling the JP-80 from my other Roland boards but having said that, the “Midi Patch Changer” I am currently using is so simple in its set up there is no way of making an error in programming the data / information you require as you can see from the following pic. The softward I use to do this consists of one page only, with a very clear table of channels and Bank and Patches. I think that you have far more chance of making an error setting up a keyboard to send the patch changes to another keyboard.

So far all I have done is entered Registration Bank(s) and Patch Change numbers against a particular channel in the above software and then made the corresponding channel entries against the Registration field on the JP-80 Midi page. I have similarly entered the some kind of information against the other 4 parts (solo, upper , lower, etc) both on the Midi Patch Changer and on the JP-80 Midi Page. Nothing happens. This is the same procedure I go through to set up my other keyboards. Normally this process takes a few moments. I am adding patch combinations all the time with my existing set-up as I add new songs and sound combinations to my multi-keyboard set-up.
I thought initially I must be doing something wrong entering the information in the “Midi Patch Changer” but as you can see it really simple to do? But I have no trouble in understanding what to do with the Jp_80 Midi Page entries too??? Its got me totally frustrated.
Attachments
Midi Patch Changer Editor.docx
Midi Patcher Editor
(215.83 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

He'll again,

I am not sure if I can help you without having one of those gadgets to try. All I could suggest is that you contact Roland or at least try ask suggest, to send a programme change message from a source other than the patch change device to ascertain whether or not the JP80 has a problem.
Nico93

Post by Nico93 »

It's been a few years .. have you solved?
I have the same problem from system version V1 to V2.11.
rd3d2

Post by rd3d2 »

I have the same issue. I want to send patch change information from a PC.

Any workarounds?
rd3d2

Post by rd3d2 »

Just replying to my own post - I managed to find a way to change the Live Set list (User) patches - all 2000 odd of them - using the "old" Dashboard App in FL Studio - but still been unable to crack what to send to change registrations (or solos come to that)

(basically I edited the default app for an XP-30 - it's a bit of a kludge but seems to work OK)

Here is the basic control:
Jup50 Patch Change.jpg
Jup50 Patch Change.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
and picking a patch to change:
Jup50 picker.jpg
Jup50 picker.jpg (453.66 KiB) Viewed 7990 times