V1 and V2 Sounds together

Forum for JUPITER-80
cubemusic

V1 and V2 Sounds together

Post by cubemusic »

Hello,

is there any way to combine the V1-registrations and the V2-registrations in one Jupiter-80? I would like to use sounds like ´Twin Gtr Arps´ and others from V1 on my V2-Jupiter-80 and don´t use banks 5-8 right now.

Kind regards,

Philip
kimsnarf

Re: V1 and V2 Sounds together

Post by kimsnarf »

Welcome!

Yes, you can export selected sounds from v1 and import them in v2. In most cases the live sets and tones are the same, just different registrations. So after import you can reassign the live sets to the v2 ones to avoid duplicates.
cubemusic

Post by cubemusic »

Hi kimsnarf,

thank you for your quick reply.

Do I see it right that I then first install the first OS on my Jupiter-80 to export the registrations (on a usb stick I guess?) and then after having installed V2 again I import the V1-registrations? Is that correct?

Kind regards,

Philip
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

You don't need to reinstall the OS. Just restore a "backup" with the v1 sounds, export from there, then restore a backup from v2 (or reset to factory settings). If you don't have a v1 backup you can download one from The repository of Sound: Jupiter-80. Note: On a restore you will lose any custom sounds (or arpeggiators) that you don't back up.
cubemusic

Post by cubemusic »

Oh, I´m so sorry but I don´t get it.

What do you mean with ´export from there´?

Here´s what I did:

1) I downloaded the V1-files (folders), formatted a USB stick with the Jupiter-80 and copied the files on the stick
2) I restored the Jupiter-80 with this stick, and after that the V1-registrations were available again, starting from A01,... as expected, banks 5-8 are empty

But what exactly do I do now? I exported the V1-registrations again on the stick and marked only banks 1-4 but when I try to import them on banks 5-8 (I marked all registrations on banks 5-8 as destinations) I get the message Cannot import! Please mark items´

I just don´t get it... It´s not 100% intuitive, I would say.

Kind regards,

Philip
cello

Post by cello »

Hopefully this helps you;

1. Now that you have a v1 JP-80, go to Menu/Export
2. Select the sounds you want to keep from v1 soundset
3. Give it a logical name like 'v1sounds' which generate a file in your SOUNDS folder called 'v1sounds.SVD'
4. Now do a factory reset - this takes you back to a v2 JP-80
5. Go to Menu/Import
6. Open up 'v1sounds.SVD'
7. You have to 'Mark' all the sounds at all levels (Reg/LS/Tones)
8. The OS will put the marked sounds in the next available slots (although you can select other destinations)
9. Once all marked, do the import
10. You should now have a JP-80 with all v2 sounds plus your selected v1 sounds
11. if everything is the way you want it and you're happy, do a backup of everything and then copy it onto your PC/Mac as a safeguard
cubemusic

Post by cubemusic »

Allright, I made it. Thank you again for your kind help.

My fault was not to expect a limited target-space on the Jupiter-80. Now that I reduced my selection before exporting, the importing worked well.

Thank you very much,

Philip
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

I prefer the V1 sounds to V2, are the live sets different or just the registrations?
cello

Post by cello »

There are 29 new Registrations in v2 compared to v1.

There are 61 new Livesets in v2 compared to v1.

There are 31 new Tones in v2 compared to v1 (plus one Tone dropped from v1 in v2)

Names of these different sounds can be downloaded in the JP-80 section at www.jp-80.com

Hope that helps!