I hate the JP80 Organs so ...

Forum for JUPITER-80
kevinkeysplayer

I hate the JP80 Organs so ...

Post by kevinkeysplayer »

Hi

I have tried to reduce my stage footprint by trying to cut down from 2 keyboards to one and the JP80 looked like a great solution. However, I hate the organs - perhaps I have been spoilt by using a Nord Stage for a few years.

Before I go back to 2 keyboards has anyone had experience of using a mini Vent with the JP80 - does it improve the organ sound significantly ? Also, I am guessing I would have to re-route my organs live sets via the sub out so that upper / lower live sets dont both go through the mini Vent

Observations welcomed :)
RayD

Re: I hate the JP80 Organs so ...

Post by RayD »

I had the same idea except running the organ through the spinny half of a motion sound kbr3. I was extremely disappointed to discover that I could only change the routing globally. There is no capability to route to the alternate output within a registration. I love this instrument but some of the design decisions make me scratch my head a little. Same problem with alternate tunings - who wants to do that globally? This stuff was in "registrations" in my antique fantom x. Don't get me started about aftertouch... anyway, rant over :-)

You can do what you are talking about but you will need to "permanently" dedicate upper or lower to the alternate output or get used to changing it back and forth in the setup menu between songs. Possibly you could fix the problem with sysex from a midi solutions event processor. That's how I fixed aftertouch.

I think from a sound standpoint it would be decent. The clean organ model itself is actually pretty good. Where it falls down a little is the Leslie effect and where it falls down a lot is in the overdrive. I haven't been able to come up with any effects setting that sounds like an extremely over-driven hammond/leslie. Maybe someone else out there has some success with that they could share. There's also the lack of true hammond chorus/vibrato to consider if that's important to you.

I ultimately punted and added a NE4D to the rig and get some (limited) sampling capability out of the deal.
jobo

Post by jobo »

kevinkeysplayer, I use a Vent, only set up organs on lower and route lower to alternate outputs and use an A/B footswitch to enable when I play organs. PIA but sounds great.
Docpain

Post by Docpain »

OMFG......this frikn synth has been around THIS LONG?????------
somehow I feel whammy'd----
I was joining this forum in hopes of finding out why the organs sounded so weak (yet Roland
is sposed to be all that in regards to synth/emulation i had heard) ....
I had no idea though that it had been out this long! ....Now i feel like I did a bad
thing..... Ah who knows...I felt that way about the M3 i bought and still think its
better than alot of stuff thats came out the last few years :) ---
So .....has anybody got hints/ideas to make the organs sound better???
To me they just sound thin// weak // the Leslie sounds really puney too and (im a n00bi)
doesnt seem to have that much control "live" or otherwise that can make it sound more realistic .
Am I wrong????
kevinkeysplayer

Post by kevinkeysplayer »

Hi Jobo - that was my solution but I was thinking of using the by-pass on the mini vent - a pain with all the extra cabling too plus the mini vents are not cheap :(

Thanks for your reply