I bought Jupiter 80

Forum for JUPITER-80
singhor

I bought Jupiter 80

Post by singhor »

Hi Everyone, My name is Pradeep Singhor, Lives in Qatar. I bought Jupiter 80 last month after studying lot about it. And Im glad about the decision I made. Its a monster. I covered the concert I had to play with GW8 successfully. My question to you all If anyone can advice me, Is it possible to increase the no. of "INIT FILES"..In another words, Is it possible to increase the no. of live sets more than 2560 & tones more than 2048.
knolan

Re: I bought Jupiter 80

Post by knolan »

Congratulations on acquiring a JP80. I hope you're enjoying it.

unfortunately you cannot increase the number of Livesets or Tones on the JP80. If you wish to increase the number of available initialised livesets and tones for your own creations you'll have to delete some of the on-board ones !

While the number given by Roland is very generous, it does leave you with relatively little space to 'roll your own'.

My suggestion to you would be to purchase a few USB Memory Sticks, and setup a smart folder-archival system on your PC/Mac. Then - every time you create new Livesets and Tones, give them smart, traceable names such as MyLiveset-No1, MyLiveset-No2 (perhaps more imaginative - but hopefully you get the point - develop a personal naming system so you can track Livesets), and so on until you fill up your JP80. Then, back those up to your PC via USB Stick; and should you need more space on your JP80, you can delete your own Livesets secure in the knowledge that you can import any you deleted from you backup should you require them in the future.

What I usually do with synthesizers with limited memory space is leave about 20 memory locations ALWAYS empty. Then, if during a given project I have to create a new sounds, I can instantly store them in those free memory locations. As soon as the project is over, I archive those new sounds into a Mac based personal archive, and immediately delete the new sound from the synth, meaning that I have my 20 free slots for the next project.

Meanwhile, if any of the sounds I make for any given project are good enough to reside on the synth permanently, I will (discerningly) remove another sound that is permanently on the synth but which I find I do not use much, to make room for the new, better sound - but always leaving the 20 slot free (its always important to have some free slots so that when you spontaneously create an exciting new sound you have somewhere to store it without having to wipe existing sounds).

The core point is - develop a system of using the available initialised Liveset and Tone locations, accompanied by a smart naming system (so you can track your sounds should you make many of them) - and then implement a neat and tidy archival / backup system on your computer.

Currently, I'm going through the mammoth task of auditioning ALL factory registrations, livesets and tones on the JP80, identifying only those I feel I'll use, and deleting the rest. I reckon I'll delete about 80% of all of those because I personally do not like the factory presets on the JP80 and want to extensively program it for my own purposes.

The key thing I've found (the hard way) with this instrument is - to be patient with it. It is a monster - but its a frustrating one - but sonically it's quite special and will surely deliver the results you're after if you devise a management system for it to suit your needs.

Best of luck,
Kevin
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Using liveset modify to accommodate minor tweaks to existing tones can be a way to save on memory locations.
singhor

Post by singhor »

Thanks & Kevin & Denver. So what I guess was right finally. I cant increase the no of tones or live sets. And while I search the tones I found several repeated tones, for example JP8 Strings1. I guess this may be transferred with new lives sets or registrations. How to avoid such duplications?? Is there any way we can still transfer new live sets with out replicating tone & later assign the tone. I guess still is a tedious task As we have to preview the new sound with other all parameters. Any Short cut in this case?
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

Ah, you've found the major flaw! When importing registrations, all associated live sets and tones get imported too regardless of duplications. Of course you can tediously initialize the duplications and recreate (after import) with links to the original tones and/or live sets... It's a workaround that IMO is far more time consuming than it needs to be... The answer is a librarian (something Kimsnarf has been working on - see another thread here)
singhor

Post by singhor »

Thanks for the reply Jumbo. Hm, I guess we have to wait and see for a solution from Roland.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

The solution is not to fully import expansions into your "working" soundset for the Jupiter. So just don't dump all of Synth Legends into the factory presets otherwise you will eat up all the memory. Pick what you like and import individually. If I want to browse an expansion set, I save my working soundset first, then restore the expansion pack into the Jupiter. Using pencil & paper, I write down the ones I want to use and import individually into my working soundset.

I suppose I work a little differently than other JU80 users. If all I'm doing is tweaking attack times on a string set, I tweak to taste (sometimes using liveset modify) then record the passages into my DAW. Nothing is saved.

There are many genres of sounds I simply don't care about. For example, TB303 bass patches. When I am creating a sound I want to save, I initialize those kinds of patches first and work from there.
singhor

Post by singhor »

Thanks Denvor for the reply. Yes you're correct. I did the same in fact. I have already gone through all the sounds available in Axial as well as in repository too. I've selected few of them I liked and imported them. During this time large no. of times On & off the jupiter, formatting USB, back up creations, restoring & factory re-setting have been done. I guess this is fine with this equipment. Besides there are no other ways to do it.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Devnor wrote:The solution is not to fully import expansions into your "working" soundset for the Jupiter. So just don't dump all of Synth Legends into the factory presets otherwise you will eat up all the memory. Pick what you like and import individually. If I want to browse an expansion set, I save my working soundset first, then restore the expansion pack into the Jupiter. Using pencil & paper, I write down the ones I want to use and import individually into my working soundset.

I suppose I work a little differently than other JU80 users. If all I'm doing is tweaking attack times on a string set, I tweak to taste (sometimes using liveset modify) then record the passages into my DAW. Nothing is saved.

There are many genres of sounds I simply don't care about. For example, TB303 bass patches. When I am creating a sound I want to save, I initialize those kinds of patches first and work from there.
This is way I find to be the most practical, including the pen and paper!