Introduction

Forum for JUPITER-80
arock

Introduction

Post by arock »

Hi everyone. Thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Alan, and I picked up a Jupiter 80 about a month ago. Really an amazing board. I am using it in combination with a Korg Kronos X 61 and a Nord Stage EX 88 on a 70s and 80s cover band project, but I find myself not wanting to play those other boards very much. Of course the Kronos has a better tonewheel emulation, but the bread and butter synth tones on the JP are unbeatable.

I am also a pretty seasoned software developer (which is how I fund my expensive music habit!), and would love to see a librarian for the JP. To that end, I have been communicating with kimsnarf offline about doing a C# port of his SVD parsing code in order to do a standalone Windows-based librarian. I don't want people to get too excited here (yet!), but it will certainly benefit me to have this capability and it sounds like others would welcome it as well. I do not want to make this a commercial venture, so I will just plan to share the binaries and code along the way. When I have something to share, I'll start a new thread.

Finally, just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed browsing the threads on this forum and seeing the generally positive attitude of everyone here! So many forums get bogged down in the minutiae of what's wrong with technology and lose sight of everything that's great about it. We live in an amazing age, and I am completely in awe of what's possible every day. Thanks for making this forum what it is!
cello

Re: Introduction

Post by cello »

Welcome to RC arock :)

I think if you develop any kind of librarian for the JP-80 then you will make a lot of friends very quickly! Yes, the JP-80 is amazingly powerful but its sound management is its weakness and its clear that Roland won't be equipping us with such a tool.

If you need a tester I'm more than willing to help - just let me know.

I've found that people either 'get' the JP-80 or don't - for those of us that do, we are the ones that get huge enjoyment from this powerhouse.

Hope you keep enjoying yours too.
Tschury

Post by Tschury »

cello wrote: ...I've found that people either 'get' the JP-80 or don't - ...
True. But more and more people are 'getting' it. Some 'got' it even twice...

ImageImage

It's so addictive!

Mike-pol

Post by Mike-pol »

Hello
Yes, I can confirm that.
I bought Jupiter 80 soon after it was released, then had hard time loosing job so i was forced to sell it ... and guess what I did first when I got the job back - yes, I have re-bought it again :))
Cheers
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I too, 'get' the Jupiter80! I procrastinated for a while but then the price dropped and that was it!

A second one would not go amiss.

I will gladly buy anyone a pint and shower them with gratitude who can develop a librarian though.
arock

Post by arock »

Starting to make progress on the code necessary for a proper librarian. I can read the SVD file structure now, parse out the names (thanks to kimsnarf's discovery that the names are 7-bit encoded and packed), and dump various structural offsets and sizes to a console window. Nothing too fancy yet, but it's working.

I did also develop a mechanism to find duplicate tones. It ignores the name of the tone and just does a byte-level comparison of the tone data itself. This will allow us to create minimal SVD files that contain all necessary tones but no copies.

For example - I present to you 6 tones in the default v2 soundset that each have a duplicate, one duplicate pair per line:

'Saw Lead 39 ' == 'Leadership '
'Saw Lead 107' == 'SynLead 4 '
'SynBs 4 ' == 'Short Bs 22 '
'Saw Lead 68 ' == 'Saw Lead 105'
'Saw Lead 34 ' == 'Saw Lead 70 '
'MC202 Bs 2 ' == 'SynBs 1 '
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

arock wrote:Starting to make progress on the code necessary for a proper librarian. I can read the SVD file structure now, parse out the names (thanks to kimsnarf's discovery that the names are 7-bit encoded and packed), and dump various structural offsets and sizes to a console window. Nothing too fancy yet, but it's working.

I did also develop a mechanism to find duplicate tones. It ignores the name of the tone and just does a byte-level comparison of the tone data itself. This will allow us to create minimal SVD files that contain all necessary tones but no copies.

For example - I present to you 6 tones in the default v2 soundset that each have a duplicate, one duplicate pair per line:

'Saw Lead 39 ' == 'Leadership '
'Saw Lead 107' == 'SynLead 4 '
'SynBs 4 ' == 'Short Bs 22 '
'Saw Lead 68 ' == 'Saw Lead 105'
'Saw Lead 34 ' == 'Saw Lead 70 '
'MC202 Bs 2 ' == 'SynBs 1 '

It seems you are making good progress!

the force be with you!
and BTW, Welcome to the clan!