Jupiter 80 and Logic

Forum for JUPITER-80
Desmond

Jupiter 80 and Logic

Post by Desmond »

Hi all,
first of all I would like to introduce myself: my name is Ralf and I am 48 years old. I just purchased the great JP80 and I love it already. The concept of using the synth seems quite familiar to me, I don't know why.
Of course the librarian topic I am aware of. But apart from this - I am happy.
I cannot understand why there is so much resistance against the JP80 - it can't be the synth itself (because it is a premium piece of musical instrument). Maybe it's because of it's name and the "relationship" and heritage with the good old Jupiter 8 - comparisons come up and any new model will certainly loose that battle.
Maybe it's because of the price - Roland takes a lot of money for the JP80. Maybe it's because the music stores are not able to sell it to the right customers/musicians. What I found out myself is that in the biggest music store in Frankfurt / Germany (session music) nobody was able to introduce me into the JP80, but into the FA-61 :) And when these stores are not able to sell this instrument to the right audience, then they have a problem with the remaining stock - and that's maybe another issue with the "mass". However, I do love the machine more than any other synthesizer I owned before.

My setup so far:
I also have an Roland Edirol FA-101 FireWire Audio-Interface which ist connected via Firewire to my Mac. The JP80 is connected directly to my Mac via USB cable. No direct connection between JP80 and Edirol FA-101.

Problem:
I have no idea how to setup Logic and the JP80 to work together as a team.
The confusion starts already when the Mac is asking me which interface I am going to use for input/output: the Roland FA-101 or the JP80. I do know that the JP80 can send audio and MIDI signal through the USB cable. But should I choose here? Edirol or JP80?

What I also want to achieve is that I can record MIDI events (notes actually) played on my JP80 on different tracks in Logic - using different sounds for each track / MIDI channel.

How can I switch sounds (Registrations, LiveSets, Tones) via Logic?

I am totally unsure how I need to set this beast up.

Can somebody please help me with an easy step-by-step procedure? Otherwise I would need to record the sounds of my JP80 through Audio-Tracks without any MIDI :(

Thank you very much for your help and support!

All the best

Ralf
Macker62

Re: Jupiter 80 and Logic

Post by Macker62 »

Hello Ralf welcome to the forum, I'm fairly new here also. I'm not very technically minded but I can answer part of your question. I use Sonar and I also have an Edirol, if you connect the Jp80 it's best if it's connected via USB and 'Jupiter 80' is assigned to your DAW (so I'm told). I've managed to get the Jp80 working fine through MIDI now, but I did have to email Roland and Cakewalk a few times for advice. Good luck and please let me know how you get on.
Desmond

Post by Desmond »

Hi Macker62,
thanks for your answer. I am not further in this area as of now. I am now recording the JP80 audio through USB interface which works just fine. Unfortunately I can not really edit the audio like it would be a MIDI track. But the sound is great and I can use multiple JP80 registrations simultaneously which is almost an overkill in terms of sound thickness :)

Anyone else with remarks on this topic? Am I the only one with Logic and JP80?
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hello there.

I have a JP80 and Logic.

I haven't tried recording it's midi output yet, but may I suggest that when you do so, you check what channels the different parts are transmitting on. Logic should recognise the different channels and you can change the assigned channel within logic in the inspector. Also if you record multiple channels on one midi track then separate them out by midi channel on separate tracks. I do this with a Virus TI.

You can get logic to send programme changes by creating an event in the event view page. Programme change is listed as one of the options. This would enable you go get logic to change registrations although I don't know how you would get it to change live sets or tones.

I haven't tried sending midi and audio over USB yet. I have had a few problems getting the arpeggiator to sync, but that was just me.

Hope this helps.
midiman

Post by midiman »

There are a couple things at work here. First, to get audio over usb from the jp80 into logic along with your FA-101. In /Applications/Utilities, there is an app called Audio Midi Setup. You will need to create an Aggregate Device, which is a virtual audio interface that combines separate discrete interfaces into one. To create an Aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup:

1) Open the Audio Window(it may open on first launch, but if not, go to Windows>Show Audio Window)
2)Click the plus sign in the bottom left
3)Select Create Aggregate Device
4)Click the checkboxes next to the FA-101 and Jupiter-80

You will see the different inputs and outputs, color coded to reflect the different devices. In the Subdevices section, you can rearrange the order of devices, so, for example, the FA101 might represent inputs 1-10, and the JP80 is 11,12. In Logic, select Aggregate Device as the input and output in Preferenced>Audio. (There are more advanced configurations possible here, but I am describing the simplest one).

You should be able to get audio into Logic now, so to get Midi and Audio, matched up, In Logic, create a Software Instrument track. Choose the External Instrument plugin, Stereo. In the plugin interface, you choose a midi destination - Jupiter 80, and whichever input audio pair was selected in Audio Midi Setup. When you record, midi data is written to the track, but the audio is routed through that same track in the mixer. Usually, once I complete recording a track, and I'm happy with the track, I do a bounce-in-place and then mute the software instrument track. That way, I can go back and edit the midi data, but I have a "printed" version of the track. You could also create a midi track and an Audio track both receiving from the Jupiter 80, and multi-track record.

As far as changing patches from inside Logic, you would need to create a Multi-Instrument in the Environment, which I haven't done yet for my Jupiter. You would need to look at the midi implementation to set bank select messages correctly. You can paste patch names from a text document into the multi-instrument so that you can select the patch names in Logic.

Here's some links to documentation that might be helpful:

Aggregate devices - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956
External Instrument Plugin - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3330 (old but still valid)
Multi-Instruments - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13268 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/a ... cnotes.asp

I hope this helps.
Desmond

Post by Desmond »

@midiman: that was a very helpful post :) I just tried it out and I was able to create a aggregate device with multiple outputs. But not with multiple inputs? When I open Logic I can select that new aggregated device for output only, not for input. What am I doing wrong here?

Problem is, when I want to record the audio from the JP80, I need to select the JP80 as input device. If I wand to record my guitar, I have to select the EDIROL as input device. I cannot select new aggregated device as an input but need to switch between input devices.

My connections are as followed:

JP80->USB->MAC
EDIROL FA101->FW->MAC

Thanks for a hint.
midiman

Post by midiman »

In the Audio Devices window of Audio Midi Setup, click the disclosure triangle next to your aggregate device, and tell me what is displayed below - including the in/out information.
Desmond

Post by Desmond »

Hi midiman,
here comes the picture. Does this help?
Attachments
midisetup3.jpg
midisetup3.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
midisetup2.jpg
midisetup2.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
midisetup.jpg
midisetup.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
midiman

Post by midiman »

it looks like the FA101 is being disregarded completely in the aggregate device. You might make sure you have the most recent driver for it, and experiment with different settings for clock master, both in AMS and on the device. Other than that, you might contact Apple for support. Sorry that I don't have more.