Creating oscillator drift?

Forum for JUPITER-80
richardbates1

Creating oscillator drift?

Post by richardbates1 »

I am not starting this thread to create another Roland Bitchfest but I would like to see Roland add Oscillator drift to the VA section. But since they didn't put that into the original design within the VA. Why I don't know?
My question is how have others managed to create an authentic drift using the VA as it is now?

I have Diva soft synth which I use drift allot for analog sounds and it really helps create real sounding analog, there must be a way to create something that sounds authentic on the JP80? Any ideas?
Devnor

Re: Creating oscillator drift?

Post by Devnor »

You want to program the Jupiter to play out of tune until it warms up? Sorry maybe I don't understand the question.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Analog oscillator drift on the old analog systems was fluctuations or pitch/voice drift that occurred during playing (the effect was very subtle) that gave those old analog systems allot of their quality of sound. Some of the new analog soft synth emulators have a knob for bringing in that quality (Diva by u-he is one example, which is one of the best VA software out there)
I was just curious how a JP80 could add that to the sound quality when creating analog emulation patches?
cello

Post by cello »

Have you experimented with the 'Analog Feel' parameter?

Go to Tone level, then press synth edit, then pro edit, In Common Tab you can adjust this 'Analog Feel'.

It is goes from subtle to plain over-the-top but an interesting parameter to play with :)
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

cello wrote:Have you experimented with the 'Analog Feel' parameter?

Go to Tone level, then press synth edit, then pro edit, In Common Tab you can adjust this 'Analog Feel'.

It is goes from subtle to plain over-the-top but an interesting parameter to play with :)
I have been just recently experimenting with Analog feel.
I wasn't sure if that was the same as adding Osc/Voice drift?
I wasn't sure if it was some sort of chorus effect that just thickened up the sound?

I know some people create drift on VA's by creating slow pitch/modulation LFO's set at a very low effect.

Thanks Cello
I will keep exploring the Analog feel.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

If it's of any help. I found using the analogue feel useful in avoiding excessive phasing and an element of ringing, if that's the right word, when panning two partials left and right and detuning them. When panning them without detuning, they are still in mono, but adding some analogue feel, up to about 28 creates a smooth wide effect as I assume the oscillator detuning is random.

Exploring the various synth tones, I found that analogue feel was at zero on quite a few or set quite low and the desired 'analogueness' (apologies) was archieved by upping the analogue feel. Though by how much, I suspect, is a matter if taste.