New Korg Kronos!!!!

Forum for JUPITER-80
SoundworldA.D.

Re: New Korg Kronos!!!!

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Did the OASYS have this kind of failure rate & user issues?
I bought my OASYS 76 in 2007 and the only thing I can say as far as any troubling issue(s) I've had is with the rubber fader knobs which developed a sticky feel to them after about a year to a year and a half. All in all, a small problem considering what a punch this thing delivered back in 2005 or whenever it was first released in this form. Replacement knobs fixed the issue very easily.

I just replaced the CR-2032 "watch" battery this year after the message appeared saying the voltage was getting low, but other than the aforementioned knobs, the tool has been rock-solid. That said, I know someday that something catastrophic might fail like the motherboard or what-have-you, and if no replacements are to be had, I would moan and wail and cover myself with sackcloth and ashes while sitting on an ant hill!

For that reason, I am interested in getting the newest KRONOS 73 in the Soundworld. No, it will never have the IMPACT on me that the mighty O delivered (and still delivers!) but at least I would still have those gorgeous Programs/Combinations and KARMA I have come to love to keep me occupied.

I will add that the OASYS was ~$8000 (in 2005 dollars no less), so I would guess that the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies here. Still, you gotta figure that the R&D had to be much lower for the KRONOS since the main scheme came from the OASYS and it would have been great if KORG had worked out some of the chronic bugs and issues before putting the original KRONOS on the market.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Why was this new korg kronos posted in the Jupiter-80 section?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

@Synthtron

Probably because we need an editor/librarian for the Jupiter 80 !?!

hmmm, or maybe not, I just wanted to mention that ... :)

LA
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Now a editor/librarian is something we do need.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Hello Devnor,

Did you get your Korg Kronos? If so pls tell me your thoughts. I have a Kronos and I love mine. I have been watching videos on the Jupiter 80 and it sounds quite amazing. I'm considering getting one in the future but I would like to hear from someone that owns both synths and hear about your experience. I heard someone one complaining about the artifacts that can be heard while playing the supernatural sounds on the Jupiter 80. Is this a common thing or just a fluke?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

No, I didn't. I bought a Motif XF7 instead.

Those artifacts are only present when you use the alternate versions of the PWM waveform when played in the higher registers. If you use the default PWM there are none.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

I listened to the Motif on YouTube. That's a sweet workstation, gratz! They all sound so good it's hard to decide sometimes.

Thanks for the explanation about the artifacts.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Update:

I changed my mind about the Jupiter 80. I know it's a wonderful instrument from all the videos and reviews I've seen and read. Since I already have the Kronos that can romple up a slew of other instruments in addition to the four synth engines that it comes with, I decided to get the Virus TI 2. The Virus is a very powerful VA synth and the sound sculpting possibilities are just mind altering. I'm really happy with it. If Roland makes a new "real Flagship" because the JD-XA doesn't count IMHO, perhaps it will be something to consider for a future addition to my growing arsenal of goodies.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Congrats! A few years ago I was considering the Virus Ti2 but bought a Moog Voyager instead. I think these synths cover many of the same sounds but each have their own unique strengths too. To me the term "flagship" is fairly useless. It could mean the "latest & greatest" or it could mean its the most expensive and does everything. IMO when Roland used the term it meant the latest & greatest. The "king" is still the Jupiter 80 :)

What has piqued my interest the most is the Modal 002 & 008. I'm saving my pennies.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Nice nice. The Moog Voyager is a definite classic.

OMG! Look at dat pricetag on the Modal! :O That will leave a mark for sure. The knob layout reminds me a bit of the vintage Alesis Adromeda. Both the 002 & 008 seem quite remarkable.