New Korg Kronos!!!!

Forum for JUPITER-80
Devnor

New Korg Kronos!!!!

Post by Devnor »

New Kronos was just announced! OMG OMG Awesome! After years of R&D comes a new, game changing synth packed with upgrades musicians have been yearning for like adjustable fonts, the ability to reduce the number of set list selections from 16 to 4 any get this, wooden end caps! There's a new piano with more gigabytes. A specially designed perforated panel to exhaust heat along with the essential CPU fan. How can anyone resist? Man, I'm placing my order tomorrow! Thanks Korg!!!!
LA Keys

Re: New Korg Kronos!!!!

Post by LA Keys »

Well, I've had a look at the korg forum and even there I cannot find much information about how much this is an "upgrade" compared to the previous model, especially since you can update the kronos x to the newer version 3 OS, meaning that the "older" kronox x will then have the same OS... A new piano; yes. A new look; yes. But beyond that can't find much about what is really different.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that the kronos is a superb workstation, the main reason why I did not bought one was because of the flimsy construction. If the new kronos is indeed built stronger and sturdier I may be interested, but wooden caps is just not enough for me to do the move...
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I agree ref the quality of construction. Were the case in metal I would have bought one instead of my built like a tank Jupiter 80. Or maybe as well as lol.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Jupiter 80 is built like a tank compared to the Kronos. I transport both weekly and there is a stark difference between them when I pick them up and place them in the case. I never worry about the JP80, but I always feel the need to be extra gentle with the Kronos. Sad, because its an otherwise amazing keyboard. I doubt the new Kronos will be much different from the pictures. The wood end caps only potentially solve part of the problem.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

It looks nice, i like the new design. But I LOVE my 76 key semi-weighted keyboard on the JP80/50! Best feeling keyboard I've ever owned and I can't go back to cheap crap on lower end boards OR back to the RH3 that I hated on my Korg SV1. If the key bed had been better on the Krome, I probably would have kept it.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

It seems to be the norm for manufacturers this year, with Yamaha releasing a white version of the Motif XF with 1gb flashrom included and the full soundset of the CS80 and now Korg. Not much costs associated with rebranding the same solution. To be honest there is no need, where can hardware go at the moment?

All we need now is for Roland to release a Jupiter with more realtime knobs, more Liveset storage and a librarian and viola roland JP V3.0 at hardly any cost to the manufacturer
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

How about all of the above but with th G8's keyboard? Jupiter 88 anyone?
Relayer

Post by Relayer »

Korg has resurrected ARP at NAMM2015. Lot's of hype, big countdown on Youtube, etc. All in all I think the whole event was a big flop, except for the unexpected overview of the new Kronos by Jordan Rudess. If you want to get a feel of what this updated Kronos is about, check it out on YouTube.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

The new Kronos is very nice. Played on the 6 and 8 at NAMM. Much better build quality then the previous generations (I have a Kronos X 61). I think the new Kronos is a home run. Today I put my X 61 above my Jupiter 80, but I can easily see placing the Jupiter 80 above a Kronos 8. That might be the ticket as they compliment each other well.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Interested to read the build quality has improved. It was the original lack of this that I went for the JP80 instead. Maybe I will put a Kronos under by Jupiter as well.
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

TJ80 wrote:Interested to read the build quality has improved. It was the original lack of this that I went for the JP80 instead. Maybe I will put a Kronos under by Jupiter as well.
Same here, I have pre-ordered the 73...here's hoping it lives up to the quality of the JP-80!
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Nice one. Looking forward to reading what you think.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Shambler wrote:here's hoping it lives up to the quality of the JP-80!
I wouldn't say it's the same "build" quality of the JP80. I mean, let's face it, the JP80 is built like no other board available today. It truly is solid. However, compared to previous generations, the new Kronos is much more sturdy and solid. Kronos / JP80... apples and oranges. The new Kronos still has the same toyish faders, knobs, and buttons, but the chassis demands a bit more confidence.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Noted. It was the potential 'flexibility' of the chassis of the original versions that put me off. It's good to see they addressed that.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

It took them 4 years to fix that old flimsy chassis. It still has RH3, those "toyish" controls and I'm reading things on their forum like motherboards failing, the need to reseat RAM sticks, USB & OS upgrade issues. Seems like the teething issues never end. I've always thought that Kronos was a cheaply manufactured PC computer with high end plugins.

Did the OASYS have this kind of failure rate & user issues?

One thing rarely mentioned is if you purchase a third party sample library, its tied to that particular machine. If you want to upgrade to a newer Kronos, you must repurchase the sample library.

Although my original post was tongue in cheek, I did consider the new Kronos briefly. What I need is a sampling keyboard but I think for my needs that will ultimately be the Motif XF. Flash memory, great EFX, it sounds very nice and has real support from Yamaha. Like the Jupiter, its built like a tank and runs silently. It comes with all the tools including a librarian. Kronos does too however they didn't create it and don't directly support it.