anyone know how to get the side panels off?

Forum for JUPITER-80
flyingace

anyone know how to get the side panels off?

Post by flyingace »

I just got my replacement aluminum side panels from Roland. Mine were damaged while in shipment. The previous owner shipped in a gator case and the zippers marred up both ends. The rest of the keyboard is perfectly okay, just the aluminum end caps had some marks. The seller insisted on replacing at his cost. They are $70 ea. from roland, btw. Special order from japan! BUT it's not just the 5 screws on each side to remove. something else is holding them in place. Any ideas? Do I have to take the whole thing apart or god forbid find a roland service center? (the one closest to me I wouldn't send a lowry organ to!).

Anyone have a service manual?

Thanks all!
LA Keys

Re: anyone know how to get the side panels off?

Post by LA Keys »

Let me first say that I do have a Jupiter 80 but never removed the side panels myself. The following is then just an "educated" guess.

On the older Roland keyboards I have (Fantom X, v-Synth), the side panels are actually mounted on some kind of frame attached to both the top and bottom of the keyboard. At a minimum try removing the screws on each side (near both side panels) on the bottom of the keybard. If you feel that the bottom of the side panel is then moving free a little, but not coming off, you will then have to completely remove the bottom panel and will certainly find some screws inside the keyboard retaining the side pane assembly.

I've also read previously that you should be very carefull while removing the bottom panel of the Jupiter 80 because of the switches on the front. I've read that there are wires that will need to be disonnected from the PC board before you can fully remove the bottom panel. Those wires are going from the PC board to the switches on the front of the Jupiter.

Hope this help

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Hummm,

Just wondering that since you actually have the replacement panels, do you actually see anything else on the new panels that will allow to attach them??? If not, is that possible that it is somehow glued on too?

Really puzzled here!

LA
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

LA,
Yes the inside of the panels have three "holes", two small on each side of a larger one. They don't appear to have any threads, so I suspect you may be right and they are glued to some kind of dowels that are attached to the top aluminum case panel. I'm probably going to have to find a service center and let them do it. I love my JP80 too much to go screwing it up!
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Ok, I got a chance to look at the service manual and found out that it is not glued. The thing is that the extra "holes" are used to attach the pitch bend assembly on the left and the plastic part on the right of the keyboard. DO NOT PULL HARD, as this will certainly break those parts.

It is still doable to remove the panel but much more work because you will have to completely remove the bottom panel of the jupiter (at a minimum) to access those screws from the inside. There should be 2 screws on each side, the third hole being there just for aligment.

LA
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks LA!
I'm going to call the only service center in my area and HOPE they can do it quick and well. Not a big fan of carting this keyboard around, let alone letting strangers dismantle it!