Help finding GOOD home studio monitors, amplification

Forum for JUPITER-80
flyingace

Help finding GOOD home studio monitors, amplification

Post by flyingace »

Okay guys, I'm bringing this to you, my fellow JP80 owners, instead of the whole forum hoping that by the time you get to JP80 ownership, you have learned a few things and have some suggestions for me.

I moved my little home studio around, well, after selling off most of my gear recently, it's not really more than my music room where I play, only computer recording now but I haven't gotten a new interface yet.

That said, I own a set of Yamaha HS-5s. They are great for recording because they are so flat, and because they are near field monitors, they sound like crap from across the room and at an angle.

Here is a diagram of my current set up. The scale grid is 1 x 1 ft. The photos will get you the idea of the floor coverage.

So my choices are:
  • • get some floor stands and mount the HS-5s behind the keyboard
    • get a keyboard amp
    • use my PA (JBL Eon 210p) (tried this, sounds really bad sitting on the floor, so would this be overkill if I used option one and put these on stands instead of the HS-5s?)
    • another option?
Thanks all, I look forward to learning how you all like to hear your keyboards at home.
;)
Patrick

P.S. although this room is my music room, it's also my personal and professional office. I work from home running a design business but also handle family business here on top of the music
flyingace

Re: Help finding GOOD home studio monitors, amplification

Post by flyingace »

Solved my own problem by putting my 20" speaker stands on the floor under the JP80 with the Yamaha HS-5s on them. EQd them to their new position and it's sounding great. I may have to re-EQ the JP80 for live performance with the PA though. but that's rare.
troggg

Post by troggg »

Believe it or not the Behringer Truth B3031A monitors are stellar in their price range (like $400ish USD). You may enjoy the extra oomph from an 8" speaker when you've got a beast like the JP80 around. You may also appreciate the ribbon tweeter over a metal tweeter for longer sessions. And, yes, they translate well.

I'm not gonna tell you every Behringer product is outstanding, but the monitors I mentioned are.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I've heard this about the Truth series in both 5 and 8 inches. Thanks!