Jupiter-80 successor

Forum for JUPITER-80
Synthtron

Jupiter-80 successor

Post by Synthtron »

What is everyone's thoughts and speculations on Roland producing another Jupiter to replace the Jupiter-80?
Think it will happen?
Hope it will happen? I do!
If Roland produced another Jupiter, what do you think it would be? Supernatural, ACB, Analog, or a Hybrid like the new JD crossover synths?

The Jupiter-80 was not what everyone was expecting or hoping for when it was released but is a strong instrument, in its own right, with massive polyphony and layering possibilities.

Just curious if anyone thinks or hopes Roland will do Jupiter again.
cello

Re: Jupiter-80 successor

Post by cello »

I think Jupiters only come around every 25 years or so!

No, I can't see there being another Jupiter anytime soon. ACB and crossover is where their synth dept is deading and I think there will be more goodies for the AIRA range; perhaps even at Frankfurt this year.

Also, I can also see crossover and AIRA converging to be compatible with each other; this again seems to be Roland's current thinking anyway.

So lots of good stuff coming from Roland I think - but I don't think we'll be seeing anything like the Jupiter for a while.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

You mention Aira stuff, Some are waiting for a sampler. I am not sure that is the direction of the Aira instruments though. I coulld be wrong.
Jay P80

Post by Jay P80 »

I kind of had a love/hate relationship with my JP80,I could see the potential in it,and I gave it everything learning the thing but the way the the OS was in terms of file structure was just the last straw,I'm a seasoned programmer and been a sessions muso for over 20 years Having used many different brands and owned literally loads of synth over the years,I'm no stranger to Roland gear and programming stuff,but as much as I tried I couldn't gel with the JP80,and so sold it on recently.

I never bought into it based on it being a Jupiter,and certainly wasn't reeled in hoping it was going to give me that JP8 Legacy sound,I've never even thought of it in such a context,to me it was more like a supercharged Fantom with a Gaia engine.

The JP80 is a great sounding board,Its a tough one to call for me in terms of a successor,after having the JP80 and a Fantom G,I just don't get the file systems they have decided to implement in the top end machines very unlogical to navigate in simple terms and unfinished,the G has a great sequencer,I loved it,but even their own MV8800 had a brilliant Sequencer on,which had basic features that should have been ported to the G,I moved to the G because of the sequencer which looked awesome on the outside.

its almost like they release these boards with scientific approaches that look perfect on the outside and think "oh well,sod it"we gave them an os update,so lets forget about it,I'm not Roland bashing I still own several great pieces of kit,maybe my needs have changed over the years and as I get older I want less of the bullshit that goes with the learning of a synth,when lets face it they all do the same thing,just use a different soundest/PCM oscillator algorithms so your constantly learning new terminology to complete the same task!

The JP80 was a kind of painting the house through the letterbox approach,I lost interest in it far too easily,I don't think there will be successor to it,its a niche instrument but also a risky one to Roland I suspect that didn't sell in shedloads

for layering and programming I don't think there is anything current that really comes close(perhaps a Kronos) but sometimes that large sound is a little overwhelming when you need to program things more intuitively,I reckon roland tried to address this with the iPad editor,I just don't get it with all that real estate on the jp80 casing Why they didn't include at least some form of hands on sliders for filters or amp sections at least,for me I don't want to program things via an LCD or an iPad all the time and as a live player I also don't want to spend hours having to be tweaking my set in the studio to compensate for very little flexibility on Stage.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I am just curious if Roland will make another synthesizer badged Jupiter weather it be ACB or a hybrid like the new JD synths or whatever technology.

If they ever did it must have an interface that is in the direction the new JD-XA is going.

The Jupiter-80 was never not intended to be a Jupiter-8.

Auto companies do this, ex: Original Volkswagen Beetle vs. New Beetle.

Both called Beetle with some of the same stylings taken from the original but completely different otherwise.

The structure of the Jupiter-80 and getting around on it is not to big of an issue for me. My first synth was a Juno-106 and my second was a D-5. I cut my teeth on The D-5 as far as Roland's digital synth structure had been for the longest time. There were some variations from D-Series to JV-Series to XP-Series to XV/Fantom Series and now the new Jupiters. The Jupiter-80s sound engine structure reminds me of a lot of the late 80's D-series. The D-Series synths my first digital synths and I would create and edit my own sounds.

Maybe the Jupiter-80 file structure is why Roland did not bother making a proper editor and Librarian. The JP-editor for the i-pad is more of a programmer for the new Jupiters but no way a true editor for handling the Live sets, registrations and effects. Some I guess are working with it somehow when it comes to loading the AXIAL sounds or the Synth Legends sounds I have not bothered.

The lack of an editor/librarian has been my biggest disappointment.

Hoping for a New and different Jupiter in the future. If Roland is only giving us a 4 voice analog crossover synth in the new JD-XA perhaps a new Jupiter would have 8 voices or more. If they do a Jupiter again.
Tschury

Post by Tschury »

The current "successor" of their last synth flagship Jupiter-80 is the JD-XA, which they call their new synth flagship in this press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KeiyYPsQ4

We won't see such a build quality like the Jupiter-80 has to offer for many, many years, as times have changed...
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

We have to wait to see the JD-XA to make a final call on Its build quality. The Jupiter-80 is built well and of course you have to pay $$$$ for all of the metal.

Even the New Prophet-6 has corners cut. 49 keys?
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Why the rush? Why does the JP80 need a "successor?" Maybe I'm the village idiot here but I cannot imagine ever exhausting the sonic possibilities of this instrument. Then again, I don't believe in obsolescence so don't mind me. :)
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I think the JD-XA is a good synth in is own class, but in my opinion not a succesoor of the Jupiter.

I have the feeling it won't be Rolands flagship keyboard for long. If this idea of crossover is embraced by consumers I think they will come with new synths in this line, but I am a very bad 'predictor' so ignore my feelings. ;-)

I think the Jupiter 80 is a once in a decade type of instrument. A sort of milestone like the CS80, Jupiter 8, DX-7.
That doesn't mean that there are no other great instruments. There are so many interesting things going on at the moment. I love the fact that Moog makes affordable instruments with the real Moog sound and I think Elektron developed some very interesting, unconventional, but wonderful instruments (I love my Analog Keys).
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Tschury wrote:The current "successor" of their last synth flagship Jupiter-80 is the JD-XA, which they call their new synth flagship in this press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KeiyYPsQ4

We won't see such a build quality like the Jupiter-80 has to offer for many, many years, as times have changed...
Well, you are right about the build quality on this one. I am actually a little surprised at the price point but really the Jupiter-50 was at the $2000.00 US mark originally and it is more plastic than metal.

I agree with the other post that this is probably just the Flagship of its class, I hope.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Tom_1970 wrote:I think the JD-XA is a good synth in is own class, but in my opinion not a succesoor of the Jupiter.

I have the feeling it won't be Rolands flagship keyboard for long. If this idea of crossover is embraced by consumers I think they will come with new synths in this line, but I am a very bad 'predictor' so ignore my feelings. ;-)

I think the Jupiter 80 is a once in a decade type of instrument. A sort of milestone like the CS80, Jupiter 8, DX-7.
That doesn't mean that there are no other great instruments. There are so many interesting things going on at the moment. I love the fact that Moog makes affordable instruments with the real Moog sound and I think Elektron developed some very interesting, unconventional, but wonderful instruments (I love my Analog Keys).
I agree Tom. It just seems that for we keyboardists there is this sense the newer is "better." In some sense that's true in terms of what technology can offer in the sense that the flagship workstations like Kronos, Fantom G, and Motif XF are nearly as powerful if not AS powerful as the old Fairlights and Synclaviers but mortals can actually afford the power now thanks to advances in tech.

And I agree that there are extremely interesting things going on and I wish I could afford some of those interesting things. :) But, in a musical context, I don't understand this notion of "successors." Certainly there are tiers of quality in instruments. If you are really wealthy, you can own a real Bosendorfer, but, in a musical context, any piano offers infinite possibilities. Guitarists value vintage instruments and coax new tones out of these beauties all of the time.

Yet strangely in the keyboard world, while there are many who want the latest and "greatest" there is still demand among some for vintage instruments. Truth be told, I am no wizard like Quinnx or PiaKnow Guy or Andy Keys or the redoubtable Soundworld A.D. I haven't even exhausted the possibilities of the gear I do own. I never had the chance with the V-Synth I acquired last year because it was stolen. C'est la vie.

As a synthesizer, I think that the Jupiter 80 is so very powerful. Do I wish that it had all of the knobs, buttons, and sliders of the JD Xi and Xa? You bet I do. That is one of the things that the JP80 AND JP50 scream for. Other than that and of course no PC friendly Librarian, I doubt that I could ever be persuaded that these two new Roland releases surpass the Jupiter 80 if flagship is defined as THE instrument.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I am referring to a successor as in another Jupiter.
Dave Smith has done well with the Prophets.

I wish Roland would do another Jupiter, one that really lives up to its Jupiter legacy of the 80's slider encrusted poly synth before another 30 years go by.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Yet strangely in the keyboard world, while there are many who want the latest and "greatest" there is still demand among some for vintage instruments. Truth be told, I am no wizard like Quinnx or PiaKnow Guy or Andy Keys or the redoubtable Soundworld A.D. I haven't even exhausted the possibilities of the gear I do own.
Redoubtable? Blast! I'll be outted as a rank sentimentalist next! ;-))

Aw shucks...I'll take it and cast my vote for mo betta vintage gear. I love new gear as much as the next bloke, but every time I go and play with my old 90's gear like the JD-990, Wavestation, Kurzweil K2000 and 01R/W I can still get those goosebumps from the sounds they make, and that is the reason I still keep them around and regularly employ them in my mixes. Some of those old familiar patches are like fine wine...they just still sound so fine, especially when mixed with the new gear sounds.

Good points made by all, but I have to agree that a "successor" to the 80 is highly unlikely. And that's fine, because we have a jewel here that still begs to be mangled well into the future!
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

Yes, the go-to's here are the JD-800/990's, D-50/550's, and MKS-70's.

New keybed in the JD-800 a couple of weeks ago now makes it a sweet ride. Very responsive and controllable aftertouch, and silky-smooth key action. I never used to play the JD-800 much and used it as a sound module. Gets a lot of hands-on time now.

Oh, and still have the Jupiter-80 and Integra-7, fwiw, but the above gets more action.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I got a JD-800 several years back and replaced the keybed with a new one from Roland. I love the aftertouch on that thing too!