Soon to purchase a new Jupiter 80

Forum for JUPITER-80
Bach42t

Soon to purchase a new Jupiter 80

Post by Bach42t »

I've inquired on the Jupiter 80 at local stores and suprisingly had a few dealers want to try to steer me to the JD-Xa, perhaps because it's the latest (and in stock), but I've never been able to quell my lust for the JP-80. I tried out the JD this weekend, and it sounds magnificent, but it's not the beast of a tank as the Jupiter. After a few years, it's time to pull the trigger.
marctronixx

Re: Soon to purchase a new Jupiter 80

Post by marctronixx »

i see no comparison to the jd xa. the j-80 is a marvellous accomplishment. i am honored and happy to own one!

i cant afford a j-8 so the 80 was the next best thing. it looks great under my j-60 :)
timbo3000

Post by timbo3000 »

One of the most important things about the Jupiter 80 to me is that it has 76 keys. yes its older than the JD-XA but the JD looks like its for DJ's and hardcore dance musicians, really not what I'm into, I'm sure it sounds great. I to will soon buy the Jupiter 80, before Roland discontinue it that is.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

To be honest I'm not crazy about the JDXa. Actually I'm bored with poly analog and its intrinsic limitations. I''m even reconsidering the Modal 008. I guess I don't buy expensive synths just to fiddle with filter sweeps. The difference between the Xa and the Jupiter is apples & oranges. With the live sets, robust MFX, SN acoustic instruments and 256 poly I think the Jupiter is a much more capable machine.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

I know this might sound really crazy but I'm again thinking about the Jupiter 80. The last time I had considered it I ended going with the Virus TI 2 which I'm very happy with. Of all my synths the JD-XA seems to be at the bottom of the barrel. I've had it now for about 20 days or so and it's just not doing it for me. When Scott Tibbs did the demos he always showcased it being connected to other gear. It just doesn't sound the same here at home.

That being said, I'm highly considering returning the JD-XA and upgrading to something more legendary like the Jupiter 80. I think for the difference in price, paying a little more, will be well worth it.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I have been on the fence with this ever since the JP-80 came out, but I want to make sure that I get one while they are still available. I have a very early Kronos 73 and purchased the V-Synth GT at the same time so I was really spoiled. I think it will turn out like the V-Synth GT. Since it's gone out of production, the prices have actually increased for used ones. There are hardly a scant on eBay. The flagship synths (along with the scant 76-Key workstations) seem to hold a good value over time. The question becomes to buy new or used?? The longer one waits to purchase a used board, the longer there is for boards to get used out on the stage and wear and tear. Not saying the JP-80 can't hold it's own as far as durability, it's just if you want to keep your gears in tip-top, studio shape and minty fresh, it's going to get harder over time to scour and search for that gem.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Bach42t: wrote

I have been on the fence with this ever since the JP-80 came out, but I want to make sure that I get one while they are still available. I have a very early Kronos 73 and purchased the V-Synth GT at the same time so I was really spoiled. I think it will turn out like the V-Synth GT. Since it's gone out of production, the prices have actually increased for used ones. There are hardly a scant on eBay. The flagship synths (along with the scant 76-Key workstations) seem to hold a good value over time. The question becomes to buy new or used?? The longer one waits to purchase a used board, the longer there is for boards to get used out on the stage and wear and tear. Not saying the JP-80 can't hold it's own as far as durability, it's just if you want to keep your gears in tip-top, studio shape and minty fresh, it's going to get harder over time to scour and search for that gem.
I know what you mean. I've been on the fence too on the Jup 80. Twice now, I was lured by a different synth. I was looking online and they were asking 11 grand for a Jupiter 8. I would hate if the Jup 80 gets taken off the market and the price begins to rise. I think I will have to listen to it in person before I decide but I will need to start saving. Perhaps when tax returns come around ;-)
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

You might nose around and see if a retailer has a B-stock instrument.

I've purchased two different Roland B-stock synths; one from Sweetwater and one from a place in Milwaukee. One was indistinguishable from new with all original manuals, the other needed 30 minutes of focused TLC to make it the same. That one had factory reprints of the manual on coated paper though, pffft.
Nisei

Post by Nisei »

I was lucky last year.
A guy was selling all his stuff because he had developed hearing problems and needed to quit the hobby.
I could choose between a Kronos 88 (first version) and a Jupiter-80 but liked the JP better.
It was only 2 months old, came in original packaging and he even threw in 2 pedals (EV-5 and DP-6) for $1500 total.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

You lucky man!

That's a very fortunate deal ;-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Good deal Nisei! I got my jupiter-80 as an open box deal at J&R Music shortly before they closed for $1799 and a new Jupiter-50 from them right before they closed for $1265.00. I like these Jupiter synths for what they are but just did not feel they were worth $3400 and $1999 at the time. I saw a jupiter-80 sold for 1475.01 on ebay yesterday and Jupiter-50s that have sold for under $1000.00. I guess the new Jupiters may not hold up in value. I currently use a Jupiter-50 for playing out and my Jupiter-80 for studio use and would like another one for live use with my jupiter-50 but I do not want to spend $3499. I may have to get a used Jupiter-80 because I do not think Roland will drop the price on the Jupiter-80 like they did on the Jupiter-50 from $1999 to $1499.00
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Wow, all these good deals I hear about make me stay on the fence. That, or I look and see that I can get an Integra-7 for around $1,199 new if I shop hard. That way I get 16 channels, as opposed to 4. I think the Jupiter 80 is still in the cards, I will wait but now it's been out for a few years most retailers aren't stocking it. This one was always hard to find to test and evaluate. So many retailers did not stock it. For the longest time, only 2 or 3 Guitar Centers on the entire east coast had a demo model. This keyboard was just not given a chance, unfortunately, much like the V-Synth GT.

I agree, we likely won't see a price drop. It didn't happen with the V-Synth GT or Fantom G either. The cheaper plastic boards get the price drops.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Well I guess it's on now. I am getting mine with the price drop.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Jupiter-80 prices have fallen at retail. I have seen prices of $2499 and $2449 for new Jupiter-80s. I guess Roland has discontinued them or is about to.
I would like to get another one, tempting, but what else will Roland come out with in the furture. Are the Jupiter-80 and 50 the last Jupiters?
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

I am sure there will be new Jupiters, as it is Roland's flagship brand. But I am also quite sure that the new models will not be upgrades or replacements, but something new and supplemental. Unlike Yamaha and Korg, Roland (at least lately) are really good at coming up with products that add value to existing purchases rather than making them obsolete. Buying a Motif or a Kronos is a guarantee that in a year or two it is outdated due to a newer, incremental model. The Jupiter-80 is a unique product. A true synth.