Jupiter-80 Price Drop

Forum for JUPITER-80
Synthtron

Jupiter-80 Price Drop

Post by Synthtron »

Just noticed the Jupiter-80 had a price drop from $3499 (US) to $2499 (US).
Is the Jupiter-80 on the way out?
Tom_1970

Re: Jupiter-80 Price Drop

Post by Tom_1970 »

I think that te price dropped over a year ago here (The Netherlands) and it is still available.
cello

Post by cello »

Of course JP-80 is on its way out. It was a pinnacle at a particular point in time.

Roland's direction is now completely different and so there will be no more JP-80, despite the fact (as recognised by those who own it) the JP-80 is a creative powerhouse and largely misunderstood and under-appreciated.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I have thought about snagging another Jupiter-80 but may wait for something new from Roland in the future. Would love to see Roland bring out a new Jupiter be it ACB or analog or whatever.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I can imagine some things that Roland can do and make me want to buy it, but I don't think Roland comes with something that makes me want to sell my Jupiter-80.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Tom_1970 wrote:I can imagine some things that Roland can do and make me want to buy it, but I don't think Roland comes with something that makes me want to sell my Jupiter-80.
I would not sell my Jupiter-80 or 50''s either. I still have synths from over 25 years ago. Best not to sell a synth for another unless it is garbage.
ferrari512s

Post by ferrari512s »

I haven't seen the price drop in Toronto, Canada as of yet. Would like to acquire a second Jupiter 80 as well.
drumster

Post by drumster »

ferrari512s wrote:I haven't seen the price drop in Toronto, Canada as of yet. Would like to acquire a second Jupiter 80 as well.
I live in Canada as well, and I'm not sure if we'll see a price drop from it's current level. Before the price drop, it was actually cheaper to get a Jupiter 80 in Canada than it was in the U.S. Now, at $2499 USD, we're pretty close with the dollar exchange. Speaking of the Canadian dollar, the current situation has made musical instruments significantly more expensive than a year ago. The huge price increase on Nord keyboards is one example.
CShorte

Post by CShorte »

I am going to skip the JD-XA for the J-80! I have always thought that it was the greatest in concept. I will miss having a librarian but with computer storage, there must be a work-around. CS.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I love my jupiter but I haven't touched it in 6 months now. UGH. Started a business last year and my brain is full with little time to play. I was hoping the value invested in my Jupiter 80 would stay around the $2000 range but if it's dropped $1000 new, then I'm sure the used value will drop. Definitely keeping mine now! :)

Maybe this is my impluse to go play!
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I finally ordered my Jupiter 80 since drooling on this constantly when it was released a few years ago. Also ordered that awesome holy grail of stands, the KSJ8 to go with it, sweet deal as an open box buy.

So lucky to finally get my paws on this keyboard. I'm now asking myself, with the prices where they are at, should I buy a second one for gigging? Where else can I find a 76-key semi-weighted of this quality at this price range?
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I don't gig, so home studio only for me, but I can understand why a second Jupiter can be handy.
It's a very good keybed and it's build like a tank, so I imagine it's the right instrument when you gig.

Sounds can be exchanged pretty easy, so I do think a second Jupiter can be a good choice.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

kinda in the same boat..
i dont have my own business but i am very busy with video production (for example, i did the GOP debates in simi valley last night--that was a 4 day rehearsal prior to the live show) and i dont have time to sirte down and create like i used to back in the 90s.

i love the Jupiter 8 and the j-80 was my dream come true (cant afford and maintain a j-8) but i need time and i need to get my head in the musical space to paly it.

ive had it for about a year now and have only played with it. i am glad to see im not the only one who has other priorities..

wish i could gig all the time like the resty of the cats on here... :)
flyingace wrote:I love my jupiter but I haven't touched it in 6 months now. UGH. Started a business last year and my brain is full with little time to play. I was hoping the value invested in my Jupiter 80 would stay around the $2000 range but if it's dropped $1000 new, then I'm sure the used value will drop. Definitely keeping mine now! :)

Maybe this is my impluse to go play!
Macska

Post by Macska »

Yeah the Jupiters are probably done with their production period. I'm guessing Roland's plan is to push the FA and Juno DS as the keyboards and the Integra as the sound module. Then there's the JD series for pure synthesis. Seems like they don't have much need for the Jupiter in their line now (don't get me wrong stage synths are very useful, if not in the highest demand after the initial run). Maybe they are clearing out the last of the produced stock?

Things have changed a bit, but I kind of look at it like this - there was the Fantom G, the V-Synth, the different Junos, and then the Gaia before. That's similar to the current range of products they offer now. Korg has the Kronos, King Korg, and Krome. Yamaha, well I don't know what they have because I never payed attention but I'm guessing it's a similar set.

Oh by the by- I saw a Jupiter 80 being used in a funk band at Backwoods Music Festival earlier this month! It always gives me a thrill when I see someone using Roland synths on stage, maybe the guy is even a member of the clan.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

This comes as no surprise to me. The Jupiter is 4-1/2 years old.

I don't feel the price drop will have much impact on preowned Jupiter prices. $1500-1800 is a screaming deal already and the new price on new Jupiters isn't shabby either. I would love to add another JU80 to my studio. Getting it past the wife is a different story.