So I stepped away from my JP80, Forgot how to use!

Forum for JUPITER-80
flyingace

So I stepped away from my JP80, Forgot how to use!

Post by flyingace »

Ugh. I've been busy the last year and a half and unfortunately making music and using my JP80 was low on my priority list. I've forgotten how to use my lovely and beloved keyboard!

SO I thought I'd ask before I dive back in and hit the books (manual and what little videos are available out there) again: Has anyone written a "dummies" style book on how to use this monster of a keyboard?

I find myself wanting to set up sounds, adding things like tremolo effect by using the S1 or S2 buttons but couldn't remember where or how.

Anyway, you get the idea. Any thoughts? Ideas? Help? Cheatsheets? :)

Thanks gang!
knolan

Re: So I stepped away from my JP80, Forgot how to use!

Post by knolan »

This isn't a direct answer to your question but a suggestion to an approach (I'm VERY slowly optimising my JP80 to be very flexible in a realtime way with this approach):

Create a Registration which has only one Liveset active and in it only one Tone active. In the Synth tone, only have one Partial active. Also - just Turn Off all effects at the Registration and Liveset level.

Then, play around with it. find your feet. Move outwards to the Liveset and Registration levels, setting keyboard characteristics, switch and the controller assignments etc.

In fact - save that registration as a template so that from there on in you can create single new sounds very fast, and add to them on a needs-must basis.

Best of Luck. This can be a frustrating beast at the user level, but the underlying quality is worth it.

I'm sure others here can give you more specific advice - I own mine 3-4 years and as said am still only getting to know it (on and off - I'm very slow in this regard (but have big plans for it so am sticking with it)).
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks KNOLAN!

Yes, I agree, I've had mine since (well JP50 first) May of 2014, the same month my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and slowly but surely my life took that unexpected turn away from having ANY free time to play. Cancer is currently in our rearview and I'm slowly regaining time to play and program.

I tend to think in terms of songs I play and options I want the keyboard to do in each of those song registrations (i.e. Wurly 200A with options to add phaser and tremolo using the S1 and S2 buttons on the fly).

As far as new sound creation, I'm not fully there but it would be nice to get there for setting up sounds in songs I play to match the original for covers.

I, too, have "someday" plans to play out live with a band again and I know many of the 80s, 90s and today songs that I'll want to cover and setting up registrations for that will be paramount.

Thanks again for letting me know your approach.
CShorte

Post by CShorte »

flyingace wrote:Thanks KNOLAN!

Yes, I agree, I've had mine since (well JP50 first) May of 2014, the same month my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and slowly but surely my life took that unexpected turn away from having ANY free time to play. Cancer is currently in our rearview and I'm slowly regaining time to play and program.
FlyingAce,
Praise God for the victory and welcome back, CS.
cello

Post by cello »

Welcome back flyingace and you must both be relieved that the worst is now behind you.

Regarding getting back into the swing of of the JP-80, knolan's advice is good. I would also suggest just sitting down and playing with the presets, just for fun - get the smile back :) Then start changing livesets within a registration. Then change some tones in a liveset and you'll soon be creating very fine sounds indeed!
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

mr. ace,

glad to hear you and the misses out of that! cheers sir!

i don't' have any tips on this but I am in a similar boat as you--ive had the j80 for a year and ive just tickled some keys and pressed some buttons.. im quite intimidated by this beast.

i wish we were closer as we could both meet up and jam and learn this thing together---kinda like a 1 step program.. :p

anyway, ill keep my eyes open on these tips and tricks that may pop up. i love this sucker and i appreciate those kinds chaps on this forum who have come up to mic to lend their assistance...
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks CShorte, Cello & Marctronixx! I, too, wish we were closer. It'd be killer to have others to swap and learn with! I have so many questions and would really benefit from learning how others use their JP80 AND how they record, etc.

Thank you to all here who responded with good well wishing and congratulations. My wife, Stacey, deserves all the credit, along with a great surgeon and oncologist. I did my best to support her throughout. We will still be reeling from this for years to come but at least it feels like we can breathe a little better now and we're starting to get out, have fun, photography hiking, camping, biking, AND hopefully lots more music playing!

My ultimate gratitude to you all,
Patrick Burnett