knolan

If ever JP80 needed validation ...

Post by knolan »

...here it is (THE Maestro at work):

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/23/354871509 ... own-answer
kimsnarf

Re: If ever JP80 needed validation ...

Post by kimsnarf »

Yes, but does he actually play it or just pose with it? :) It is a very attractive piece of hardware, so I would not be surprised if artists/photographers preferred it for their shots, then switched to some homely workhorse for the jam. After all, the Jupiter 80 is the sexy offspring of the ultimate trophy synth.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The Jupiter-80 is massive but with many analog obsessives it was not embraced. Also the economy has been tough for years now and we have seen the fruit of that. Companys along the way have offered an explosion of smaller inexpensive tweak boxes/synths. With EDM and DJs in vogie big synths with keys are not in. I understand people's angs in using the Jupiter name for a digital synth sans numerous sliders and knobs. What I like about Roland is that they have produced high end synths that were synthesizers in and of themselves and not all in one workstations. Yes they make worksations but throughout their history they have always produced higend stand alone synths.

The new Jupiters grew on me especially with the release of version 2's added filters.

The Jupiter-80 is a massive synth soinically and physically. Not too many like that.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Actually - I'd say the JP80 has done OK in professional circles - you see them a lot in professional rigs on TV, online and in magazines.

I saw Herbie Hancock play live in Dublin about 5 years ago (live performance of his amazing album "The Imagine Projects" and while it was just before the JP80, he used the OASYS extensively - as well as the Roland AX-Synth.

What I loved about him using the OASYS was - while we over in Korgforums were debating the nuanced merits of the quality of its pianos, organs, clavs etc - he just used them all on stage - no special setups - but they sounded stunning and truly authentic.

It made me realis just how often we knit pick (not that I ever nit pick :-) ) - while he just got the hell on with it and played it.

So he's a real 'synth' guy, isn't fussy - once the instrument can deliver basic quality.

I'd say he adores Supernatural Acoustic Tones.

And just to back up my point about his open-ness to synths as much as acoustic instruments - there was a fabulous article online with him a few years ago about making The Imagine Project and he pointed out that his bassist friend, Marcus Miller, had played on a few tracks - but that he decided to replace a few bass riffs played by Miller by a few Spectrasonics Trillian Bass programs (Hancock playing them in). When asked by the interviewer whether Marcus Miller minded - Hancock said he hadn't asked him - but pointed out that he shouldn't mind too much as the programs he used were played by Miller for Spectrasonics !

So he seemingly isn't precious in a contrived sort of way - and as said - I bet you he's loving his JP80. He might pose for a photo, but only with instruments I suspect he has respect for and is happy to endorse.
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

Synthtron wrote:What I like about Roland is that they have produced high-end synths that were synthesizers in and of themselves but not all-in-one workstations.
Right. I have twelve Roland synths; not one a workstation.

Three of the Yamaha synths I have are however. Hmmm. Wonder what that says...
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

No matter what he plays (my JP80 love makes me giggle and jump up and down like a little school girl seeing that photo!) that is one cool and very real dude! What an amazing musician and a musician's musician too. Love hearing him talk about (in documentaries I've seen) about the amazing thing about music that draws us, like minded people, to it. Inspired!
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Also, it makes me think of that scene in Wayne's World "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!" :)