Inspired by my Roland Clan Brethren! The Glitch Mob

Forum for JUPITER-80
flyingace

Inspired by my Roland Clan Brethren! The Glitch Mob

Post by flyingace »

I started watching Dark Matter (syfy network) on Netflix. Not sure how I feel about it yet, it's growing on me. Roger Cross is a wonderful actor and I always enjoy seeing what he does with a character. PLUS I heard that a lot of the people involved with Stargate Universe are involved with this one. We loved SGU!

Well, about halfway through the first episode as they take a shuttle out this B@D@SS synth song starts up. It appears that The Glitch Mob may be doing some tracks for it. I wasn't able to find the exact song on any of their albums but it's definitely them! Check them out! https://youtu.be/qKxDzyHPo0o

I just had to power up my Jupiter 80 and find a sound like it. Thick and ballsy, I just knew the JP80 was up to the task. I picked up on the melody pretty quick and started playing around with different parts.

I got me playing again and digging into my JP80.

Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement, obviously it helps!

Now I only wish I could figure out an easy way to come up with beats and lay tracks down. Just haven't found an OS X recording app that I prefer to use (used Logic, Ableton, Reason, Garageband). Just want something easy to learn how to use. I suppose that is GB? I already have it. Ableton Live 9 probably needs updating to be compatible with my newest system (El Capitan).

Any advice would be great!
Macker62

Re: Inspired by my Roland Clan Brethren! The Glitch Mob

Post by Macker62 »

Hi Ace, silly answer here but you didn't mention Sonar X3, I say silly because a cut down version is packaged with the Jp80 at the moment. I just find it quite easy to follow as the instructions give examples and step by step approaches. Good to hear you were inspired back to the Jp80, good luck, Andy
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks Macker62, I will try to find a copy of Sonar but AFAIK my JP80 didn't come with anything but cakewalk that is only available on the PC. I'm on a mac.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Of the DAWs you mentioned, I say go with Logic if you already have it.

Ableton can be a little weird to learn when you're simply trying to record audio and midi tracks. It's totally doable but of every DAW I've used it gave me the most trouble in the beginning with simple things like arming and routing.

Connect your JP 80 USB to your Mac, use it as the audio/midi interface, insert an audio and midi track in Logic, route them to and from the JP, arm the audio track, and start recording. Simple as that. Use the midi track to make edits and hand written parts.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

unfortunately my copy of Logic Pro is not longer compatible and I'm not spending another $199 for Logic Pro X. :(

I am going to continue on with Ableton (they updated it to be compatible with El Capitan for free) and I also downloaded AIR Ignite. I know it's not a DAW, but I'm starting to think I don't want a DAW, I want a way to record some simple backing tracks, sketch out ideas quickly and for $49 with an interface that is dirt simple, I think it will get the job done.

I'm not planning on doing any serious work with this stuff. One: I don't have time, Two: I'm not interested in Pro work, Three: I write crap :) but I have fun and love it.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice though.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

I think I'm in the same boat as you, with regards to available time and professional level (or lack of both). :)

Since getting into synthesis a couple of years back, I've spent most of the time playing, learning, connecting and experimenting. Recently I have started to focus more on composition.

My only previous exposure to creating tunes were on Protracker on the Amiga in the early 90s. I had samples only, but I really liked the simplicity and the workflow. I also had a Yamaha CS1x in the late 90s, which came bundled with Cubase or something, and I didn't like the sequencer/MIDI workflow at all. And the multi-timbral capabilities of the CS1x was bad, so I gave up on the whole thing. I have also dabbled in GarageBand but didn't like it either.

With my preference for trackers I've dedicated all my recent composition efforts on Renoise, which is a modern tracker but with all the features of a sequencer. The primary difference is the workflow. I think sequencers are more geared towards recording good performances, while trackers are more about building up a track logically from smaller pieces. It is not so much about the notes you record, but more about what you do with those notes afterwards. Also I don't record audio parts. I like to tweak details so I want all my synths to play realtime.

I have found Renoise simple to set up and use, and I find it more straightforward that Logic or Ableton, though I've only watched tutorials for those, not tried them myself. Renoise shares many of the live/performance features of Ableton. But in many ways, Renoise is the exact opposite of a recording program, and many are put off by the tracker interface (don't be!), but I'm just mentioning it since it is working for me.

Thanks for the tip on AIR Ignite. I will check it out.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Ah Gotcha.

Well Garageband will work great for you then. As far as "plug it in and hit record" goes there is no simpler software to learn. If you figured out Ableton and like it more power to you! Literally more power, that software can do everything and requires more processing lol.

So the JP 80's built in recorder is too limited for what you want right? I wish Roland had made it at least a basic 16 track sequencer. If I remember correctly I used to record things one instrument at a time in different wav files while listening to my drum track, and then I'd put the USB stick in my pc later and import the audio to a DAW to edit it.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

LOVE LOVE LOVE Air Ignite! If you are looking for a super dirt simple recording app, I can't recommend Ignite enough. Although it's available for both PC and Mac, it's very OS X drag and drop style, which I'm very accustomed to already being a mac guy.

It works perfectly and easily with the Jupiter 80's USB Audio in and out. Love how easy it is to set up for it right as you open the app, you can configure your sound input output.

Also, I was able to set up a MIDI registration in my main registration screen that is already switched to external, then with a selection of one of my other registrations, I'm able to select Audio record and it tracks great!

It's so simple that I was hunting around for features only to find it was already doing it for me!

Plus it's only $49 dollars, so it's a great value.