Trigger internal arpeggiator from MIDI notes

Forum for JUPITER-80
kimsnarf

Trigger internal arpeggiator from MIDI notes

Post by kimsnarf »

Hi

I have an arpeggiator running on the Upper Layer on the Jupiter-80. I have recorded the notes that I play, meaning NOT the notes from the arpeggiator. I now want to play back these notes and trigger the arpeggiator just like when I play live. But when I play back the recorded notes on the channel for the Upper Layer, the arpeggiator does not run. I have tried all kinds of settings (including MIDI clock master/slave), but I can't get it working. Any suggestions? Is this functionality supported?

I have managed to record the arpeggiated notes, but that is not what I want, since I want the freedom to switch the arpeggiator pattern on the Jupiter without re-recording the arpeggiated notes.

In the manual the Remote Keyboard Switch (set to ON) is supposed to allow an external keyboard to control the arpeggiator through MIDI. However, I can't get it to trigger the arpeggiator when I play the external keyboard.

Thanks
kimsnarf

Re: Trigger internal arpeggiator from MIDI notes

Post by kimsnarf »

By connecting another keyboard to the Jupiter-80 through MIDI cables I managed to trigger the Jupiter-80 arpeggiator from the other keyboard. The clock source was not important in this regard (master/slave), but the Remote Keyboard Switch had to be set to ON. This had the unfortunate side effect of the Jupiter-80 apparently receiving on all MIDI channels.

However, I have been unable to reproduce this behavior from my sequencer (Renoise) over USB. Turning on/off the Remote Keyboard Switch appears to have no effect. I can't get the arpeggiator to trigger and the Jupiter-80 receives on separate MIDI channels. Is this a MIDI-cable-only function?

The Remote Keyboard Switch is really confusing. Here is the description from the manual:
Turn this “ON” if you’re using an external MIDI keyboard instead of the JUPITER-80’s keyboard.
In this case, the MIDI transmit channel of your external MIDI keyboard does not matter. Normally, this can be left at “OFF.”
* If you want to control the arpeggiator from an external MIDI device, turn this “ON.”
I do want the MIDI transmit channel to matter, but I also want to control the arpeggiator externally. These concepts are mixed up in a single setting so they are not separately controllable. Probably, triggering the arpeggiator is connected to receiving on all channels, but I don't understand how this works yet.

More importantly, this could mean the only way to trigger the arpeggiator is through a MIDI cable. Possibly because USB will be used for sequencing, and if the Jupiter-80 were to receive on all MIDI channels through USB it would be impossible to sequence with other instruments.

I wonder what will happen if I use a MIDI-to-USB-cable. I will investigate further.
kimsnarf

Re: Trigger internal arpeggiator from MIDI notes

Post by kimsnarf »

Success! :)

Connecting the Jupiter-80 MIDI IN to USB did the trick. When Remote Keyboard Switch is ON this causes the sequencer to trigger the arpeggiator. I also understand now why this setting listens on all channels. It allows the Registration to be played from an external source exactly as if it were being played live.

This is actually very cool! I can now sequence the Jupiter-80 the way I play it (as a registration), without having to duplicate tracks for each part. Since the Jupiter-80 USB ignores the Remote Keyboard Switch I can simultaneously control each part separately through that connection.

It all makes sense now. Great stuff! :)