Buying JP 80 - selling XP30 ?

Forum for JUPITER-80
len73

Buying JP 80 - selling XP30 ?

Post by len73 »

Hello There,

I'm still thinking about buying new gear for the end of this year. I was focused on the FA08 or RD800... After surfing the web and digging information, I noticed that the power and 76 keys of the Jupiter 80 would be just what I am looking for.

Three questions for you :

1) How easy it is to use the Jupiter 80 with Logic for recording tracks using both sounds of VSTs and of the Jupiter ?

2) Would you keep my old Roland XP 30 if I go that direction ?

3) Would it make sens to complete the JP80 with a RD800 (in the future) ?

Thank you for your help...

Len
Devnor

Re: Buying JP 80 - selling XP30 ?

Post by Devnor »

I use the Jupiter with Logic. Its easy. If you've used other synths with Logic, the JP80 is no different. I keep MIDI Local Control turned off. If you like the XP, you might as well continue to use it.

BTW I use all MIDI connections. No USB. Good luck!
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

The Jupiter-80 is a bit quirky on MIDI. If you use USB you can't sequence a full performance (registration), only individual parts. Which is all fine if you want separate control of the parts or to use the Jupiter multi-timbrally. You can also sequence the notes the arpeggiator plays this way, but you can't trigger the arpeggiator on playback.

However, if you want to sequence the full registration as one part, including an active arpeggiator, you must use MIDI in/out. I have also attempted both at the same time (MIDI and USB) for simultaneous control of the registration and parts, but the notes on the two connections interfere. I will have to set up some kind of mutual filtering between the connections in the DAW, but I haven't figured it out yet.

There might be other ways, but these are my findings.
len73

Post by len73 »

Hello There !

Thank you for your feedback.

In fact, the more I read and watch videos about the Jupiter80, the more I am willing to simplify my gear setup...

What do you think ? Here is my current gear setup : Roland JDXi, Roland Gaia, Roland XP30, Yamaha SY-77, Yamaha MX-49, Korg Krome...

I am thinking about replacing everything with a Jupiter 80 together with a RD800. Does this make sense to you ?

The gear remains at my homestudio.

Thank you for your feedback...

Len
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Well, I am fairly new to synthesizers, but yes, I think the Jupiter-80 can replace many of those, unless you require sampling functionality and/or very specific sampled sounds. The Jupiter-80 is not expandable by samples, only by patches. There are likely many sounds that you will not be able to reproduce on the Jupiter. But if you are not dependent on specific sounds, there is a lot of variety in the Jupiter-80. Do not expect the Jupiter-80 to faithfully emulate vintage/legacy sounds, though. It is close in some cases, but far off in other.

Remember that the Jupiter-80 is in effect not multitimbral if you play its registrations. You can sort of get four-part multitimbrality, but since the parts are tied together it is not the same as a multitimbral setup. Also, the drums are fairly unusable. It is best to forget them and use the available tone/part for another sound. If you do a lot of studio work, the Integra 7 is likely a much better match. The Jupiter-80 is more of a performance synth than a studio synth, and I wouldn't use it as the sole studio synth.

If you do, however, get the Jupiter-80, you might not need the RD 800, unless you must have weighted keys or plan to combine them for studio work. The semi-weighted keys on the Jupiter-80 are very good, possibly the best available of its kind, and very playable. Also, the pianos on the Jupiter-80 are excellent. If you require weighted keys, but do not need the absolutely best, then the A-88 controller is very good.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Wow looking at your setup list there, I can confidently say the only reason for you to sell your gear and get a Jupiter is if you WANT to sell your gear and get a Jupiter. I mean you already have the supernatural synth covered between the Jd Xi and Gaia, and the other things should cover acoustic stuff adequately unless you're looking for the articulation and performance stuff the JP offers.

The JP would make more sense in performance but you said it all stays in the studio right? You've got a nice mix of sounds from "the big three" there with the XP30, SY-77, and Krome. Plus Vsti's in logic should fill any gaps.

My advice, if you are wanting supernatural acoustic sounds and getting rid of some gear, is to sell the JDXi, XP30, and Gaia and get the Integra 7. If you play it all right you could probably near break even on ebay sales too.

I've said it before I'm sure - in the end if you want a Jupiter, get a Jupiter!
len73

Post by len73 »

Thank you for your feedbacks ! Very interesting.
Sometimes, when you look at things you lack of overview and choices become even more complex in our times...

Integra 7 is maybe the way to go...
I'm still tempting by the Jupiter. The incredible feel and power of this machine really impresses me...
What would be the best combination with it, I mean would an integra 7 be a good choice ?
What about an FA-08 (for weighted keys, sampler, sequencer, etc.) ?

I'm getting a bit confused with the time...
Méka

Post by Méka »

Hello len73 !

Keep your SY-77 ! It's a great powerfull synth ...
Drop all yours little synths and take THE Jupiter-80. No better choice possible in the Roland synth gears !
And after, if you want weighted keyboard 88 keys look for the Casio Privia PX-5S !

Cheers !
len73

Post by len73 »

I will probably keep my old and good SY77...

Anyhow, I am still thinking about symplifying my gear setup...

Which of the following set would you advice me to buy (which one makes the most sense to you, and why) :
A) Jupiter 80 + Integra 7
B) Jupiter 80 + RD800
C) Jupiter 50 + FA 08

Answering this question would probably greatly simplify my choice...

Any help more than welcome...

Len
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hello, I own two JP80's and an Integra (controlled by an A90) and feel compelled to chip if you don't mind :-)

I think you should keep the other manufacturer's products and rationalise the Roland gear.

However, assuming you want a weighted controller, the RD has one of the best, if not the best weighted action, I would actually suggest the RD800 with the Integra 7.

You then have:

The RD for controlling, piano, organ, clavs etc, then both the Supernatural synth and acoustic and the excellent XV synth engine for everything else. You are effectively sharing the available polyphony of both instruments.

I hope this makes sense!
len73

Post by len73 »

Hi there,

Yes it makes sense... And makes me think about two interesting options :

1) RD800 + FA06
2) Jupiter 50 + FA08

In both cases I got the piano feel I'm currently missing and provides me with sequencer, sampler, etc (through the FA series which sounds to me a little more versatile thant the Integra 7)...

What are you opinions about this two combos ? Which one should be preferable ?

Thanks again for your help and comments !
Macska

Post by Macska »

JP 50 + FA 08 from that list since the JP covers performance and the FA has you covered in the studio with multitimbral stuff and a weighted controller.

In that line of thought if money isn't much of an issue might as well make it a JP 80 lol.

And thinking even more that way might as well be a JP 80, RD 800, and Integra!
Well, then you'll need the complete Aira line, and the JDXA to cover that one analog sound. Oh and don't forget brand new Roland speakers for the integra 7's surround sound!
(i'm joking in this last paragraph of course)
len73

Post by len73 »

Just another question that comes to my mind.

We are not that far from the next NAMM. Would you still consider the buy of a Jupiter 80 (released in 2011) today before the event ?

Do you think this model could be replaced (together with the Jupiter 50) ?

Thank you for your feedbacks.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I would totally recommend buying the Jupiter 80 as I have purchased two new Jupiter 80s this year. I doubt it will be replaced at the next NAMM, and likely not the NAMM after. I think there is more likely to be a flagship model released either of the JD-XA variety or a new Fantom replacement, but not one for the Jupiter 80. It's in a class all it's own.
cello

Post by cello »

I agree with Bach42t - Jupiter 80 is in a unique class/league which currently Is not Roland's focus. ACB mixed with analogue in the shape of a workstation or a bigger JD-XA is more likely, this NAMM anyway.