Setup advice: Jupiter-80 audio input

Forum for JUPITER-80
bernaldo

Setup advice: Jupiter-80 audio input

Post by bernaldo »

Hi all! I'm planning a setup and I need your advice. I'm getting a Jupiter-80 but I'm not sure if everything will work ok.

The idea is to record "live" as much as possible (if you could call "live" using a Cirklon and an Octatrack), maybe with some layering and overdubbing when needed.

The initial plan is as follows:

I know Jupiter allows recording to USB including audio input, so I could record the whole thing mixed. According to the manual I could even record multiple layers in an overdub fashion as the Jupiter WAV recorder can also mix in the WAV player simultaneously.

One of my questions is precisely about the Jupiter 80 audio input. Does it have any kind of noise gate?

I tried a similar idea a few months ago with the audio input of a Casio PX-5s, but a fixed noise gate cut all notes and reverb tails very abruptly so it didn't work as expected. Has the JP-80 something similar or it records audio input cleanly? Take into account I'm talking about external audio sources here, as I assume internal sounds are recorded in pristine quality. Manual doesn't tell (neither did Casio PX-5s manual, that's my point).

And in general, what do you think about this setup? Could it work?
moogi

Re: Setup advice: Jupiter-80 audio input

Post by moogi »

I connected the audio in of the jupiter with the audio out of another synth. There's the possibility to adjust the volume. It works fine with maximum level.
bernaldo

Post by bernaldo »

Thanks for checking, moogi. Do note or reverb tails get cut below a ceirtain volume?
moogi

Post by moogi »

bernaldo wrote:Thanks for checking, moogi. Do note or reverb tails get cut below a ceirtain volume?
I didn`t notice anything like that. The audio input saves me a mixer.
bernaldo

Post by bernaldo »

That's my idea, moogi. Thanks again.