OS Updating help

Forum for JUPITER-80
KevinOnKeys

OS Updating help

Post by KevinOnKeys »

Hello,

Well, after reading about it in the manual, online on Roland site, and watching scores of how-to videos, I still somehow managed to wreck my Jupiter 80.

I was simply trying to go from V1.02 to the latest OS.

I formatted the USB drive.

I downloaded the file.

I unzipped the downloaded file.

What appears is then not what Roland says will appear ("jp80_up.bin"...on my Mac a folder called "jp80_up" does appear, but several attempts were made to drag that folder to the root directory of the USB drive and use it for the update. All that happened was, as soon as I turned the unit on holding the Tempo button, it never starts updating, merely says "update complete" immediately. Of course, that's not the case, sys info still reads V 1.02.)

Then I tried renaming the enclosing folder with the .bin label, which did't work ("updater error").

I then looked inside the folders inside the Updater folder and found 3, "onCPU1, onCPU2, onSSC".

They contain the folder "appli".

Inside the first "appli" folder was "jp80_c1_up.bin". I erased everything off the USB drive and put that on there.

Tried the update mode, and it seemed to at least carry out the command; however, once it turned back on it immediately said "program error" and half of the sounds in the registration didn't work (were default sawtooth waves or something, no matter what they were labeled). I performed the "Factory Reset". Didn't help.

So I went back and added the second file from the next "appli" folder, "jp80_c2_up.bin".

Tried the updater again. This time it loaded c2 first, then started over with c1. It said update complete, so I restarted.

Same program error. Same thing with the non-working patches.

Factory reset. Nothing changed.

I am now officially totally bummed. Why would they make updating this thing so dang hard and buggy?!

I realize I'm probably doing something wrong, however I repeat I tried first to follow the manual to the letter and got nowhere. Then I started trying things and ended up possibly worse off than before.

All I want is the new functionality provided by the update.

PLEASE, anybody who can help, I would so appreciate it. Have never had this problem with any other keyboard updater before.

Cheers.
KevinOnKeys

Re: OS Updating help

Post by KevinOnKeys »

Follow up post.

I tried the "restore" function using the backup I'd made prior to starting down this road. It did its thing, but I still get "Program Error" upon startup.

This is making my head hurt.
KevinOnKeys

Post by KevinOnKeys »

I'm going to keep updating with what I've tried so those things aren't recommended.

In poking through all the 8 patches on the opening Registration screen, I realized a lot of the patches were using sounds that don't seem to exit, have been replaced with an INIT-style simple sawtooth sound. No matter what they're named.

Hoping that the "Program Error!" upon startup was due to it calling up those 8 registrations that were perhaps pointing to invalid things, I went through them all and arbitrarily assigned new patches to everything.

Turned it off and on, "Program Error".

So. I've got thousands of patches with names that don't sound like anything and are scattered throughout the Registrations. Not good.
KevinOnKeys

Post by KevinOnKeys »

Okay...

On a hunch I added all three of the .bin files from inside the respective subfolders of the Updater file to the USB stick.

Ran the update procedure again...and BOOM! Upon reboot, no error message, and lovely lovely sounds!

Now. This may be a terrible idea, especially since it's finally working...but I thought after updating you were supposed to run the "Factory Reset", so I did. Awaiting the result...hopefully not the dreaded error message again...

WHEW! Nope. Seems like it's working properly now!

And the update is successful, at last. No thanks to doing it the way Roland says! WTH?

I'm going to leave this all up for posterity in case anyone else runs into this problem. Has anyone else run into this problem? Or am I the lucky one?

NOW. What I really wish I could get an answer to is why the Jupiter 80 not only doesn't have patch remain (a criminal oversight that would have made it superior in many ways to my Kronos) but why the supposed holdover feature when changing registrations doesn't work either?!

In other words, as far back as 1988 there have been keyboards or MIDI mappers that allowed you to send the change command, not changing anything until you removed your hands, then coming back down to the new setup. This thing audibly changes and drops tones underneath the sustained notes. That is incomprehensible! Of what musical value is that in a performance setting?

Is there a deep menu function that alters the behavior of this? That makes it only change tones when the fingers are all lifted? Am I going to have to run the Jupiter out to the 1988 MIDI mapper and back to itself to achieve this? SMH.

This was fun. Let's not have to do it again. Cheers.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

KevinOnKeys wrote:Is there a deep menu function that alters the behavior of this? That makes it only change tones when the fingers are all lifted? Am I going to have to run the Jupiter out to the 1988 MIDI mapper and back to itself to achieve this? SMH.
This is under the system menu: [system] -> [sound] -> Tone remain

(See page 84 of the manual)

LA
KevinOnKeys

Post by KevinOnKeys »

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, all that does is alter whether notes are held over or not. In other words, a hard changing of the patch silencing all sustained notes, or sustaining the notes...but with the dropout I mentioned above. It holds the notes but with audible changes in effects and tonality, which sounds terrible.

It is not true tone remain, as with the Kronos. Here's the part that gets me: it's not even tone remain as it was implemented on Kurzweil MicroPiano modules 20 years ago! Seems to me to be an arbitrary crippling of an invaluable performance feature, one they could easily work around in software.

Now ask me if I'm holding my breath... :-/

Thanks again!