Is Jupiter-80 on the way out?

Forum for JUPITER-80
ulricr

Is Jupiter-80 on the way out?

Post by ulricr »

Hi,

Regardless of the internet community rejecting it due to not being analog, I've been considering getting a JP-80 for home use as a main keyboard. I like the idea of a 76 keys keyboard vs a 61 or 88 keys, the dedicated preset and split buttons, and although I have no first-hand experience with it, I also like the idea of the the superNatural engine for emulating instruments. I'm a bit disappointed that it seems only 4 part multi-timbral, but I could live wit it. I'm actually not all that interested in an analog synth, real or emulated.

However, it is currently out-of-stock at the music stores around here in Canada, it's not really recent and kind of buried on the Roland web site now. So I'm wondering, is it on the way out? There was nothing announced at NAMM to replace it.

Is it still a good idea to buy a new JP-80 or is something a better choice nowdays. Would you warn against getting a JP-80? It's listed at 2799$ CAD around here.
marctronixx

no

Post by marctronixx »

if you wait for the latest and greatest, you will always be waiting...

it amazes me...i frequent many forums for different things (cars, mobile phones/tablets, music gear) and there is usually a new member or someone who rarely posts (has a low post count) but will ask "hey should i get ______ or wait...?"

the j80 is a beautiful piece of kit. i paid full price for it and i wouild pay full price for it again.

your question has been asked many times on this forum. as other people chime in, some will say its great, others will say it lacks this or that...

bottom line is what do YOU need from a synth? if the j80 provides the features YOU want, then screw what the "internet" says or doesn't say.

is the j80 on its way out? the machine is a BEAST! its used on lots of tours and productions.
ulricr

Re: no

Post by ulricr »

marctronixx wrote:if you wait for the latest and greatest, you will always be waiting...

it amazes me...i frequent many forums for different things (cars, mobile phones/tablets, music gear) and there is usually a new member or someone who rarely posts (has a low post count) but will ask "hey should i get ______ or wait...?".
Well, don't worry, I have been reading the forums for years, had a JX-3P and TR 707 when they were new in the 1980s, and not a newbie who knows nothing about synths.

With all of that said, though, I must say I cannot figure out from Roland's marketting what is the current "superNatural" flagship, and if JP80 is a forgotten in-between child or still their latest and greatest.
I might have phrased the question poorly, my apologies
marctronixx wrote:your question has been asked many times on this forum. as other people chime in, some will say its great, others will say it lacks this or that...
Absolutely true, but the difference is that it's 2016 and it's a synth from 2011 and I figure there has been a lot of water under the bridge and people must have different perspective these days
ulricr

Re: Is Jupiter-80 on the way out?

Post by ulricr »

thanks for your thoughts, timbo4000
spottingjonah

Re: no

Post by spottingjonah »

ulricr wrote:With all of that said, though, I must say I cannot figure out from Roland's marketting what is the current "superNatural" flagship, and if JP80 is a forgotten in-between child or still their latest and greatest.
Your question is perfectly legit, and timely. You are correct in that Roland seems very confused with itself.

I have owned three different Jupiter 80s, and just recently bought my third (I keep selling them after projects, but no more selling this last one). I know the board reasonably well and can tell you that it is still a state of the art board, and certainly worth the recently reduced price. From a build quality perspective, it is the best Roland currently makes, hands down. Best keybed, best chassis, solid synth.

Buy one with confidence. (FYI, Roland is displaying the Jupiter 80 at NAMM this year after it being absent the past two years... that is saying something)
marctronixx

where are you?

Post by marctronixx »

@spottingjonah ,

where in cali are you? I love the jp80 but as i have said in another thread, i am very intimidated by it.

you know a lot about it and if you are local to southern cali id love to pick your brain/check you out on using the jp80 hands on....
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

If you are basing your decision on whether an instrument is "on the way out," you might as well not buy anything. As others have noted, you must ask yourself what your needs are and what instrument is capable of filling those needs. There is no "perfect" synth and there never will be.

For my needs, the JP80 plays a crucial role in my performing rig. I use it with a Kronos and the two cover all of the sonic territory I need. Whether or not Roland decide to discontinue the JP80 is irrelevant to me. The instrument is profoundly powerful. Perhaps because the highest level - registrations - are what one encounters first, there is confusion as to what this powerhouse can do. This synth is incredibly deep. Just ONE Liveset contains 12 oscillators! That won't impress you if you are an analog purist of course.

I honestly cannot imagine ever outgrowing the Jupiter 80 but that is me, YMMV.

Best,
Vlad
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I bought two Jupiter 80s in 2015. The first was a no-brainer and I might use to play gigs, the second one is to keep for a back-up. These boards are hands-down a great value these days. The sounds, interface, build quality, everything about this is a value. I am considering adding an Integra-7 as well to the rig.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

@vlad,

choice points there mate! Bravo. Could not agree more. Betwixt my JP80, Jp-08s (3), and Juno-60 I am scattered, smothered, and covered (waffle house rhetoric :) ) . I also dont see myself ever growing out of the jp80.

And @Bach42t, you are simply my hero!
moogi

Post by moogi »

I really cannot understand, why peple claim that the jp80 does not sound analogue. But it's really a pity that the sound examples on You Tube are mostly based on the factory registrations and livesets. I bought the jp80 because of its analogue heritage and wasn't disappointed at all. But I like the analogue stuff of the 70th and not the famous sound (Jump, Final Count Down) of the Jupiter 8 :)
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Analog synths can generate a wide range of sounds, so it is only reasonable that emulations (like the Jupiter-80) can reproduce some of these. Especially with layers and effects. But what many mean by "analog" is a certain warm, thick, pleasant tone that can only be generated by the oscillator, not by adding layers and effects. I have not been able to achieve this kind of tone with my Jupiter-80, nor with my Prophet 12 which has digital oscillators but an (integrated) analog filter. People have gotten quite close with the Pro 2, by using multiple, detuned digital oscillators and its discrete analog filter. But a single, analog oscillator still sounds "fuller" than multiple digital ones. Newer emulations like ACB are closer than the Jupiter-80, but I prefer the DCO of my Alpha Juno (analog) to the emulated VCO of my JP-08 (ACB). Especially when programming my own sounds.

For many (most) people, these differences do not matter. So enjoy the Jupiter-80 for the power house that it is, and the analogish sounds that it can produce. It is a great synth with a wide span of sonic goodness.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

These days analog is an acquired taste. And an expensive one. Digital is a lot more bang for the buck. But once you hear THAT sound, you can't un-hear it. It gets addictive. I started with a cheap, used, old analog and ended up with a couple of expensive, modern analog flagships to satisfy my polyphonic urges. And none of them are anywhere near the breadth of sounds of my Jupiter-80. But playing the Jupiter-80 is like playing good emulations of existing instruments (including analogs). Playing the analog stuff is like controlling electricity and bending it to your will. It is pure, raw and beautiful. It is the sound of currents in motion. It is poetic. :)

Anyway, the resurgence of analog has nothing to do with the relevance of the Jupiter-80. They are completely different beasts, and I still think the Jupiter-80 is the best of its breed.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

kimsnarf wrote:the resurgence of analog has nothing to do with the relevance of the Jupiter-80. They are completely different beasts, and I still think the Jupiter-80 is the best of its breed.
Now that was very well said.
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

Seems to me that Yamaha's new montage is a direct competitor of the Jupiter 80 and nothing else... So Roland must have done something right...

Seems however most of the general population dont understand Roland as much as they Talk Yamaha and Korg these days.. But Jupiter 80 Korg Kronos and the upcomming Montage are still the best spend money in the world...

I do believe however that Roland is brewing something new for Muiskmesse.. And seeing many Jupiter 80 prices drop or like with Thomann.de and musikstore giving away free ipads with a jupiter 80, it looks like there is a new high end Roland comming soon...

Maybe the Jupiter 80 formfactor, with all integra sounds, some sampling, acb technollogy, more multitimbral channels And an advanced arpeggiator ... Who knows... Yamaha's montage proofs that the Jupiter 80 was ahead of its time...

Hoping for both an 88 as wel as a 76 key form.... Or a 76 key form supporting a 2nd lower end 88 key manuall (a88)

So what do you think, if there ever comes a Jupiter 80 replacement, should it be backward compatible?