Need help - Trying to recreate Van Halen's "JUMP" tone

Forum for JUPITER-80
RolandJupe80

Need help - Trying to recreate Van Halen's "JUMP" tone

Post by RolandJupe80 »

I have had my Jupiter 80 (actual hardware, not a VST or emulation) for about a week. I am a novice and really am trying to recreate the tone from Van Halen's Jump song.

Here is an example of the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VixOXQMlCmU

I have watched a handful of videos that say to use a dual layer tone, sawblades, etc. I cannot get anywhere near this sound! There are no patches that I can find. Can someone literally step by step show me how to recreate this sound? I spent 4 hour combining tutorials to get the sound and I always end up no where near the sound. Because I am a novice, if you just say "Use sawblade and brass tones" and use technical terminology I may not understand :( Sorry for bad english.

Thank you so much!!
LA Keys

Re: Need help - Trying to recreate Van Halen's "JUMP" tone

Post by LA Keys »

If you download the "Analog synth collection" from Roland axial website, there's a registration named "Jumper" in the collection. This is registration# 20, Bank 01 C-4.

If I remember correctly this is pretty close to what you want.

LA
RolandJupe80

Post by RolandJupe80 »

LA Keys wrote:If you download the "Analog synth collection" from Roland axial website, there's a registration named "Jumper" in the collection. This is registration# 20, Bank 01 C-4.

If I remember correctly this is pretty close to what you want.

LA

Thank you for the suggestion. I loaded it and unfortunately it does not sound anything like it :( Are there settings/tweaking necessary? It seems very difficult to make this sound :(
raymond

Post by raymond »

It may be that you will not be able to accurately reproduce the sound, no matter how much sound design talent you have.

The original Jump patch was played with an Oberheim OB-Xa. Oberheim vintage synths sound quite "forward" and bold.

Roland synths have a different 'sound signature'. Roland tends to be less forward and less aggressive, but more warm and lush. You won't get the same "in-your-face" leads and polysynths that have a cutting character the same as an Oberheim (or other American synths like DSI/Sequential)

I'm not very familiar with the Roland Jupiter-80, but if it has the "Roland sound" then you should get a pleasing approximation but it won't be the same as an OB.

Even if you were to use a Roland Sampler and you sampled the original OB sound, it would still sound different in reproduction.

But in practice, it shouldn't matter too much. First you can apply FX like reverb and delay to somewhat mask the synth character. Second - in a mix the differences become a lot less noticeable. Third - chances are that the sound you like has been processed beyond the raw synth tone anyway with delays, EQ, reverb, compression and distortion (like exciters etc) - so even if you had an OB-Xa it would sound a bit different.

There's a lot more to it than sawtooth waveforms and VCFs. This is the joy of synthesis and sound design - the learning never ends! :)
RolandJupe80

Post by RolandJupe80 »

raymond wrote:It may be that you will not be able to accurately reproduce the sound, no matter how much sound design talent you have.

The original Jump patch was played with an Oberheim OB-Xa. Oberheim vintage synths sound quite "forward" and bold.

Roland synths have a different 'sound signature'. Roland tends to be less forward and less aggressive, but more warm and lush. You won't get the same "in-your-face" leads and polysynths that have a cutting character the same as an Oberheim (or other American synths like DSI/Sequential)

I'm not very familiar with the Roland Jupiter-80, but if it has the "Roland sound" then you should get a pleasing approximation but it won't be the same as an OB.

Even if you were to use a Roland Sampler and you sampled the original OB sound, it would still sound different in reproduction.

But in practice, it shouldn't matter too much. First you can apply FX like reverb and delay to somewhat mask the synth character. Second - in a mix the differences become a lot less noticeable. Third - chances are that the sound you like has been processed beyond the raw synth tone anyway with delays, EQ, reverb, compression and distortion (like exciters etc) - so even if you had an OB-Xa it would sound a bit different.

There's a lot more to it than sawtooth waveforms and VCFs. This is the joy of synthesis and sound design - the learning never ends! :)
Very good points! I like how you made steps to try to replicate the sound. Your post is very informative. What drives me nuts is that in the video, the person plays the tone I am looking for with the Jupiter 80 and 8. Also, the tone is 90% accurate to the studio recording of Jump! Assuming he is not using any external hardware that is strongly influencing the sounds, I still have hopes it can be done :)

Unfortunately, the author of the youtube video does not explain step by step how he achieved this tone :(
raymond

Post by raymond »

If I get time over the next week, I'll make the sound with my JP-08 and post details online. :)
RolandJupe80

Post by RolandJupe80 »

raymond wrote:If I get time over the next week, I'll make the sound with my JP-08 and post details online. :)
I would be very grateful if you could do that!
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

yeah id like that too! i have had this keyboard a year and a half and have not made any patches... i would love to make one...
raymond

Post by raymond »

There's a few useful videos already done.
Check this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVZ9EcmYCA

I made a reasonable approximation on my JP-08 last night - it was quite straight forward. I don't know how this would translate to the Jupiter-80s synth architecture, but here's the general approach:

- Start with one oscillator (VCO/DCO) with a sawtooth waveform.
- Open up the filter (VCF) completely so you hear the sawtooth as raw and bright as possible.
- Very basic amplitude envelope (EG / ADSR ) with fast attack, full sustain and fast release. Attack 0, Decay 0, Sustain 100%, Release 0.
- soften the attack a bit, and add a bit of release if that sounds nicer to you.
- Add another oscillator/VCO with sawtooth waveform and detune it just a bit from the first oscillator so it sounds fatter, but not chorusing.

that's the basic sound. Then you'll want to add a bit of digital delay to the sound for the ambience of the original sound.

Good luck!
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

once i get the ob6 i can do this....
raymond

Post by raymond »

marctronixx wrote:once i get the ob6 i can do this....
The OB-6 sounds spectacularly good in the demos I've heard!!
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

I'm going to augment Raymond's post to be more specific to the JP80.

OSC - For Osc 1 and 2, use Saw variation C (green). Set pitch to both Osc 1 and 2 at -12. Set detune on Osc 2 to +10.

Filter - Use LPF3 for both Osc 1 and 2.

AMP - I prefer to set Osc 1 Pan L30 and Osc 2 Pan R30. Just sounds a bit better (and fatter to me). Set level to max.

Go to ProEdit
- In "Common" set "Analog Feel" to 30.
- In "AMP" set AMP Level key follow to +20 for both Osc

There's your basic patch. Now save and go to effects.

- Effects - MFX1 "Equalizer" - Level @ 127 - Then set the following
- 400 @ +2, 800 @ 0, 2000 @ +2, 4000 @ +7 (Might be too bright for your taste... adjust as you see fit) Send to Reverb (Red) @ 76, Send to Main (blue) @ 127

- Effects - MFX2 "Delay" - Level @ 75 (or to taste) L and R should be 1/8 (note) and Feedback @ +18%. Level at 80. EQ 200 @ -2, 1000 @ 0, 4000 @ +2 (This delay is very subjective and should be modified with a higher % depending on the venue and your preference) Send to reverb (red) @ 70. Send to Main (blue) @ 127

- Reverb - SRV Plate. Output Level @ 65. Set input level (red line direct from patch) to 10.

There's your sound... or as close as I've been able to come. Feedback? Enjoy!
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Oh, and don't get started without first initializing the patch (Utility once you're in the edit page). Most of the parameters (Filter, AMP) require very minimal editing from the initial point.
Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 »

great thread!
craigsfrost

Post by craigsfrost »

I have come as close as I can using a KingKorg. I got pretty close on my Juno-G though but this video and settings below are from the Korg...

https://youtu.be/rmbqAbvcjdU

OSC1: Saw detuned +5 mix level 127
OSC2: Saw detuned -5 mix level 127
Analog drift: 30
Portamento: 005
Unison: OFF
Filter: LPF OB
Cutoff: 127
Resonance: 30
Full velocity
KeyTracking: -10
EG1 Filter: A: 0, D: 100, S: 105, R: 0
AMP Filter: A: 0, D: 115, S: 50, R: 12
Tube: On with Boost, Drive: 30
EQ: High: 70, Low: 50 or detent
Pre FX: OFF
Mod FX: OFF
Reverb: Plate: Depth: 127 Time: 4

Recording technique:
One track panned hard left with reverb
Second track panned hard right with reverb and slightly lower volume and delay of maybe 20msec