Musikmesse and Jupiter 80 replacements?

Forum for JUPITER-80
MacTyros

Musikmesse and Jupiter 80 replacements?

Post by MacTyros »

Seems like the Jupiter 80 is going on sale at many places, or comes with a free ipad (musikstore.de)

Might we see a new high end Roland at the Musik Messe..

Would it be a performance synth as the Jupiter or will they add more workstation features?
Devnor

Re: Musikmesse and Jupiter 80 replacements?

Post by Devnor »

No
marctronixx

cosign...

Post by marctronixx »

Devnor wrote:No

+1
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

timbo4000 wrote:We'll just have to wait till the 7th April for Musikmesse to find out. Like the others I very much doubt it but it would be nice. I use my Jupiter 80 with Sonar X1 along with my XR, jv880, JD990, D50, JD800 along with Kontakt with thousands of sounds and numerous other soft synths. What more could a new workstation offer when I have all that already. Been looking at the New Yamaha Montage, not to buy, just curious. Its one ugly looking thing. That's the thing about Roland Synths, as well as sounding awesome, they look great too.
What else would you like on the Jupiter 80
-The pcm sounds of the integra 7
-acb plugin support..
-more effects, a single insert effect for every sound on top of the live set insert effects
-more and more advanced arps..
-16 drumpads used to trigger and loop audioloops or midi phrases..
-4 livestes assignable to the keyboard
-88 key version, with the latest piano technollogy added..
-9 sliders + 8 knobs..
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

timbo4000 wrote:yep, ok you got me. A few improvements would be nice to the Jupiter 80, or should I say additions.
It would be nice to have all the PCM sounds and expansion sounds from the Integra, along with every single waveform Roland have ever issued, cos I know there are some missing from the integra. And perhaps multi timbral, perhaps 8 or 16. Still, I'm still happy as she is.
Jupiter 80 is 10 multitimral

fA08 and integra 7 are 16

32 would be a futureproof number, 16 for the 4 livets, and another 16 for the other stuff...
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

MacTyros wrote: Jupiter 80 is 10 multitimral

fA08 and integra 7 are 16

32 would be a futureproof number, 16 for the 4 livets, and another 16 for the other stuff...
The Jupiter-80 is only 4 parts multitimbral. And 2 of those parts (solo & perc) do not have access to the MFX. So in practice it is just 1 or 2 parts (the live sets). Just like many other performance synths. It is not a workstation nor should it be. The FAs and the INTEGRA cover the PCM and the parts.

My ideal Jupiter would take ACB to the next level and have plenty of knobs. Drop drums entirely instead of going half-way. And drop PCM in favor of more Supernatural Acoustic. So basically all-in on both analog and acoustic behavior modelling, with plenty of direct control and high build quality. Performance features!
Méka

Post by Méka »

The Jupiter-80 is only 4 parts multitimbral
Without offense you I'm thinking that you are wrong ... The Jupiter-80 is 10 parts multitimbral (each liveset can handle 4 individual timbre) with only 4 MIDI channels for drive them (solo + perc + 2x4 timbres = 10 polytimbral) ... This is a Jupiter-80's weakness and his strong !
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Méka wrote:Without offense you I'm thinking that you are wrong ... The Jupiter-80 is 10 parts multitimbral (each liveset can handle 4 individual timbre) with only 4 MIDI channels for drive them (solo + perc + 2x4 timbres = 10 polytimbral) ... This is a Jupiter-80's weakness and his strong !
It is only a weakness if you think the Jupiter-80 is 10 parts multitimbral. The 4 tones in each live set can not be played as individual timbres. Each live set has 1 "timbre" consisting of 4 tones. Just like each tone has 1 "timbre" of 3 partials. This is by design. There are only 4 usable parts (timbres). Which is fine for a performance synth.

The old concept of "timbres" does not really apply to the Jupiter-80. But I regard it as 4 parts multitimbral.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

I do not want more parts on the next Jupiter. I hope they do not turn the Jupiter into a workstation, and I think it is unlikely. I've tried that approach with the Integra 7 and I find the Jupiter-80 architecture much more fun and inspiring than the individual parts of the Integra with separate effects.

However, I would love if the next Jupiter had 4 live sets (16 tones) as its 4 parts, as the separate tones have limited usefulness. With a true 4-way keyboard split (now it is 3-way + drums). Then it would make sense with individual arpeggiators per part and an upgraded Tone Blender per part, inspired by the Montage motion sequences.
cello

Post by cello »

I really can't see Roland releasing anything with the Jupiter name on it for a while - they got such a backlash with the JP-80. Of course I'd like to see Roland continue with the same overall direction, but again I'm not going to bet my mortgage on it...

What may be more likely is a bigger development of ACB/Boutique/crossover - in what form though, that is the question!
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

The next Jupiter could be a 16 voice ACB. It only requires 4 JP-08 boutique engines with a full-size keyboard and full-size controls. Plus arpeggiators, splits, layers, parts etc. That would satisfy the Jupiter-80 bashers that do not tolerate the Jupiter name being used on anything that deviates too far from the Jupiter 8.

But I hope Roland also continues to expand on the Jupiter-80 concept, even if they start calling it something else than Jupiter.
Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 »

I personally don't think we're gonna see a next gen Jupiter 80. Enjoy this one, its never going to get another update, its never going to get a librarian, and its never going to get a successor. Its a unique synth on its own right. The price has to come down probably because they are going to discontinue it and they don't want the inventory anymore. Roland is moving on to something else.
cello

Post by cello »

Dewdman42 wrote:I personally don't think we're gonna see a next gen Jupiter 80. Enjoy this one, its never going to get another update, its never going to get a librarian, and its never going to get a successor. Its a unique synth on its own right. The price has to come down probably because they are going to discontinue it and they don't want the inventory anymore. Roland is moving on to something else.
Agreed - well put
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Dewdman42 wrote:I personally don't think we're gonna see a next gen Jupiter 80. Enjoy this one, its never going to get another update, its never going to get a librarian, and its never going to get a successor. Its a unique synth on its own right. The price has to come down probably because they are going to discontinue it and they don't want the inventory anymore. Roland is moving on to something else.
You are probably right and I am fairly certain that owners are enjoying it. :) But I don't think Roland will abandon the Jupiter name nor its concept as a flagship synth. A direct Jupiter-80 successor is highly unlikely, but it's still fun to discuss what could have been. I do think an ACB flagship is probable though. They have the technology. It is cheaper to build than an analog and can therefore have more voices than the competition. And people like the sound, even purists and Jupiter 8 owners.

With Yamaha releasing the Montage, which in many ways builds on features pioneered on the Jupiter-80, I have new hopes that Roland will eventually respond with a new flagship of their own. Hopefully both with acoustic sounds and better analog (ACB?). Not as a cross-over sound-design tool, but as a pure performance powerhouse. The JD-XA is not a flagship nor did it get the Jupiter name, but the concept is interesting.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

I'm still hoping for a new workstation featuring an upgraded SN-engine.
I know quite a few musicians who have an Integra-7 and loving the sound of the supernatural engine.
I remember that the Brass card for the Fantom G (ARX-03) had some sort of ensemble mode, and it would be great to have a feature like that also in the next-generation Fantom.
It's been eight years now since the Fantom G saw the light of day, and I miss Roland's presence in the higher end workstation market. The FA is nice, but not really a follow-up to the Fantom range.