Help me ID a Jupiter 80 sound

Forum for JUPITER-80
GauchoAmigo

Help me ID a Jupiter 80 sound

Post by GauchoAmigo »

Hello all, new Jupiter 80 owner here. Still learning the fundamentals of the board, but wondered if anyone could help me identify a particular sound--probably a registration.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&v=8cfpQdPY2pM

That's a video of Cory Henry playing a workshop in Rio a couple years back. It's long, and although really cool, I certainly don't expect anyone to watch the whole thing. He is moving back and forth between an RD-800 playing a Rhodes sound and the JP-80 playing a lead sound. You can skip to anywhere in the video you see him next playing it because he doesn't change it throughout.

My question is--is it a stock JP-80 registration/sound? I just got mine, so it's already full of the Version 2 sounds, and I'm assuming that sound may have been in the original version. Although Cory Henry is certainly synth savvy enough to have written the patch/registration on the fly, he isn't normally a JP-80 player and I'm guessing those two boards were just provided for him on arrival. I'm kind of hoping he just scanned through the registrations until he found one he liked for lead work.

Anyone recognize the sound and can maybe tell me where to get it? Or if not, any suggestion on making it myself? As I said, I'm new to this architecture. It's some sort of monophonic lead tone blended with a chime/bell kind of thing. Just not sure what. Thanks in advance if you give the link a listen!
cello

Re: Help me ID a Jupiter 80 sound

Post by cello »

Welcome to the Clan :)

I'd say it was a liveset preset - 0383 Charming.
GauchoAmigo

Re: Help me ID a Jupiter 80 sound

Post by GauchoAmigo »

cello wrote:Welcome to the Clan :)

I'd say it was a liveset preset - 0383 Charming.
Oh man, that is really close. The underlying tone in the video is something monophonic with portamento though. If nothing else, finding that chime tone is fantastic because I can add it if I find a suitable lead tone to mix in.

Thanks!