J80 to control boutiques

Forum for JUPITER-80
marctronixx

J80 to control boutiques

Post by marctronixx »

Gents,

I have a couple boutiques : an SE-02 and a D-05. They are on K-25m’s but I would like the Jupiter to be their “keybed”.

Although ive not set this up yet, i ASSume the “boutiques” MIDI out can be used to “soft thru” midi.

Soooo.....

I set each boutique to its own unique midi channel
Turn local off on the Jupiter (so it’s disconnected from it’s own sound engine)
Then change the midi channel on the Jupiter to whichever device you want to control

Is there anything I’m missing that needs to be adjusted on the Jupiter?

Again just want to play the sounds of the boutiques using the Jupiter’s keybed.

Cheers m8’s !!
kimsnarf

Re: J80 to control boutiques

Post by kimsnarf »

Sounds like it should work. I play my JP-08 from my Jupiter-80.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

You don't need to turn local off. You can setup new registrations with the JP80s sound engines turned off, using external midi functions to control the boutiques. When you want to play the JU80 sounds, you turn off the KBD switch in external part settings in that particular registration so the boutiques do not sound. So, you're looking at creating 3 new registrations. One for each boutique and one for JU80 only sounds.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

thx all for your responses!

Devnor wrote:You don't need to turn local off. ...
Dev,

I really appreciate your response kind sir.

Your method sounds exactly what the doctor ordered.

Sadly I don't know if I can set up a registration. I picked up the jupiter several months after it was launched and I am still intimidated by it!!

ironically, reading the parameter manual for the D-05 (D-50 reissue), it also has tone, parts, and that actually HELPED me to better understand the guts of the jupiter.

Asking you to help me build a registration is asking too much i know, but I have to ask. :(
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I'll see about making a video. The Jupiter is a decent master controller.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

master controller! yes! I also have a rev2 16 voice and an ob6, but the longer keybed and functions on the jupiter make it cool for this setup.

yes there are not any videos on the jupiter other than playing the SN engine and those types of things. i need under the hood help! :P

i always wanted a jp8. this is my "poor mans" jp8 .... :)

thanks for your response dev. ill just poke around in the guts and see if i can figure this out..
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

By default the Jupiter-80 transmits on MIDI channels 1-4. You can mute, layer and split those 4 parts easily with the dedicated buttons. I use these controls to play both the Jupiter and up to four external synths, by setting them up to receive on different MIDI channels (1-4).

This means the Jupiter will layer its sound (for each part) with an external sound. If I want to mute the Jupiter on a channel, but play the external channel, I just turn down the sound for that part on the Jupiter. Vice versa I can mute the external channel on the mixer. When I split and layer on the Jupiter the external sounds follow the Jupiter parts.

I use this setup for free playing. When I sequence (actually: track) I instead control what I play in the DAW and use local off on the Jupiter. I find this setup very easy and intuitive, so I haven’t explored the Jupiter’s dedicated external part setup yet.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

marctronixx wrote:i always wanted a jp8. this is my "poor mans" jp8 .... :)
I thought I wanted a Jupiter 8 too, until I spent time on one in real life at a local synth gathering. I didn't find it to be anything special. I preferred the sound of the Prophet 5 (rev 3) and the Oberheim OB-8. The Jupiter 8 was kind of harsh and sterile by comparison. I also found the controls and the filters of the Prophet and the Oberheim more rewarding and easier to find sweet spots with.

I have a Prophet 6 and an OB-6 and they are definitely comparable to the originals. The modern synths surpass the originals in the mid-to-high frequencies, but the originals sound more pleasing and fuller in the mid-to-low frequencies. The Jupiter 8 did not have the same smooth, bottom-end warmth, so it should be easier to match with modern analog (Roland's ACB does not qualify). As for the Jupiter-80, I thus prefer its flexibility, its keys, its size, its looks and its practicality to the Jupiter 8, since neither are the king of analog anyway. Layering the Jupiter-80 with real analog, played from the Jupiter-80, gets into Jupiter-8 territory, and much more.

The vintage gear I tried all had multiple issues with maintenance, sound quality and connectivity. I am optimistic that modern analog will eventually (soon?) be able to match the warm sound of vintage gear, so I have no desire to acquire an expensive antique. I find modern Moog to be really good at the bottom-end, so a modern, polyphonic Moog would be a dream-synth. Which is exactly what Baloran's The River is attempting to be. And it's "only" the price of a Prophet 6 + an OB-6. Cheaper than vintage gear. The only problem is getting one. :)
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

kimsnarf wrote:
I thought I wanted a Jupiter 8 too,
your post is bit perfect to how I feel myself!! there is nothing I can add to it!

thank you for stepping in to indulge me my friend. a couple of clarifications:
By default the Jupiter-80 transmits on MIDI channels 1-4. You can mute, layer and split those 4 parts easily with the dedicated buttons.
do you mean the upper lower perc and solo?

Vice versa I can mute the external channel on the mixer
you mean the external mixer you have your analog inputs from the keyboards going into yes? rather than the internal mixer in the jupiter settings yes?

I use my MPC X as the sequencer for my gear and up until now i've just been playing the modules directly into an analog channel on the X, but i would like to record the midi notes from these through the jupiters midi out into the X's in.

i like the registration setup. i just need to stop being scared of this machine and get into it..:)