Former JP 50 owner ponders JP80

Forum for JUPITER-80
troggg

Former JP 50 owner ponders JP80

Post by troggg »

Hi. I recently sold my JP50 to pay for mastering a double CD I recorded which has the JP50 all over it.

While I found all sorts of inspiring sounds that were perfect for a variety of styles, I never really wrapped my head around navigating the 50. And like many others, I felt abandoned by Roland and the absence of activity on the JP50 forum here. As in I felt like there was no way to really master the instrument.

However, it seems like there is still love for the 80, and that it may be easier to navigate on cause of the large screen and there being way more videos about it than the 50. As well as actual activity on this forum.

So I'm pondering acquiring an 80 as I have to have 76 keys and I like the Roland sound better than the competition. My questions:

1) I'm on the Windows side. How is the interaction between the current version of Cubase (9.5) and the JP80?
2) Are there available patch scripts to make searching sounds easier in Cubase?
3) Would anyone know if the JP80 makes a good controller for Omnisphere?
4) Anything else I should know about running a combination of JP80/Cubase9.5/Omnisphere?

Thanks for all replies!
Vlad_77

Re: Former JP 50 owner ponders JP80

Post by Vlad_77 »

Hey Troggg,

I don't use Cubase so I can't answer your question directly. That said, the huge color touch screen makes navigation a LOT easier. I'm saddened that Roland threw in the towel on the 80 AND the 50. These Jupiters are insanely powerful. Get an 80!

Warning, it's a hell of a lot heavier than the 50. ;)
troggg

Post by troggg »

Hey Vlad, I'm glad someone finally responded from out in the greater Jupiter cosmos.

While there is no doubt that if I woke up one morning to discover a Jupiter 80 waiting for me in my studio, I would be captivated by it, it seems like activity here on the Jupiter 80 forum is diminishing just like it did on the Jupiter 50 forum.

In other words I would probably get nearly as frustrated because there is only so much I can suss out on my own and there are just not enough people to help me discover the joys of Jupiter. I'm sure the bigger screen would solve that to a certain extent; however, being a computer guy, the lack of an editor would be another obvious candidate for further frustration.

If Roland weren't a detestable company, they would have reps pop up here from time to time to show that they care ... which they don't!

So maybe if I stumble upon the deal of the century on an 80 like I got on the 50 I'd pull the trigger ... but that's what it would take. Anyhow, thanks for showing some Jupiter love -- I did get my money's worth out of the 50 and sold it for what I paid for it ... and it was perfect for all the realistic and spacey sounds I needed.
tommyman

Post by tommyman »

I picked up a used Jupiter -80, and, though I'm a Mac, and Digital Performer user, I still highly recommend it for you in your PC/Cubase situation. I know there's a free version of Sonar (i think) that works especially well with the 80, but all you need to make it productive is download the Roland USB driver - that way you can record audio directly thru the 1 USB connection which also carries Midi. You CAN set the Unit to receive on up to 4 different Midi Channels, or all on 1 channel. The USB audio is only 44.1k, so that's something that may or may not work for you.
Good luck!
troggg

Post by troggg »

Thanks for your testimony.

Alas, mentioning the word "Sonar" alas brings up more "abandonment" issues, because not only does once mighty Roland abandon hardware, it clearly doesn't discriminate against software in the abandonment department. While Roland isn't the only synth manufacturer to stop the flow of updates somewhat prematurely (people are already complaining about lack of Arturia updates for Matrix Brute, for instance), but it may be the only large manufacturer to do so with such consistency.

I did use the heck out of the USB recording interrface on my JP50, and, no, 44.1 wasn't a problem -- it still sounded sufficiently glorious.

One piece of DAW software I would definitely not recommend for hardware synths or workstations like Jupiter 50/80 or even ones from other manufacturers is Studio One. That's all about controllers and VSTis with minimal or nonexistent provisions for hardware instruments as parent company Presonus has felt for years that workstations are dinosaurs not worthy of support. I certainly disagree with that theory ... but it's not going to change if it hasn't by now.