Love for the Jupiter 80

Forum for JUPITER-80
Vlad_77

Love for the Jupiter 80

Post by Vlad_77 »

Hi all,

I have had this beauty since 2013 and I am still staggered with it's power. I'm always discovering something new. I've played the newer Roland synths and for me at least, the Jupiter 80 leaves them in the dust. So how about folks? Anybody else still love her/his Jupiter 80?

It drives me nuts when people slam this magnificent synth because people feel it doesn't deserve the Jupiter moniker. My response is usually, "call it Neptune then and explore the depths." (Yeah you knew that was coming!

Anyhow, I want to hear from musicians who feel that this insanely powerful synths is one of Roland's finest moments. :)
JeffB63

Re: Love for the Jupiter 80

Post by JeffB63 »

Vlad_77 wrote: It drives me nuts when people slam this magnificent synth because people feel it doesn't deserve the Jupiter moniker. My response is usually, "call it Neptune then and explore the depths." (Yeah you knew that was coming!
I think my response to those people would be Uranus! ;)
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

JeffB63 wrote:
Vlad_77 wrote: It drives me nuts when people slam this magnificent synth because people feel it doesn't deserve the Jupiter moniker. My response is usually, "call it Neptune then and explore the depths." (Yeah you knew that was coming!
I think my response to those people would be Uranus! ;)
LOL Nice!!!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Loved your post, and your praise for the J80 Vlad. I think it was only natural for the naysayers, analog puritans, Roland-haters and other synth manufacturer lovers to slam the J80, but we remember as well, even others who found issues with the J80 way before they even had time to plumb its depths or couldn't come to terms with the seemingly arcane architecture or the performance based aspect of it.

For those us who stuck with it, the beauty and the depth of the Jupiter 80 was apparent early-on, and became more-so as we continued to play it. Alas, ever since the birth of my daughter two and a half years ago, I have not had the same time that I had before to jam in the Soundworld, but a while back, I had some time to explore some of the pads that I developed on the J-80 and was surprised that I was able to produce some pretty cool sounds way before I fully understood all of the features of it.

We that got the concept and have come to appreciate the awesome power of this synth will always be thankful for it. And for the babblers inexhaustible that slammed it? Well, they can go pee in the wind and pretend that it is raining Kool Aid!
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Much love here, I've been using it for over 6 years. The Jupiter was a different way of working with sounds in performance, breaking the norms of the 16 channel workstation. Later on Roland dumbed it back down again with FA series. I quickly bought into the registration/live set concept. It's brilliant. Nothing else works quite like that. The board has it's fair share of issues but nothing I haven't been able to work around. Kronos was a serious contender, it basically has everything. So the focus was on what Jupiter didn't do and nobody could or would, try understand this new way of working. They demand Jupiter do everything in one box, sorta like the Kronos does, but in reality everyone was using multiple gears and computers. A bit disingenuous I thought at the time.

These days its all about the sounds and Jupiter seems perfect most of the time. I have a Kronos, it's lovely but for my workflow the Jupiter is easier to use and faster to get from idea to a recorded track.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I adored my Jupiter 80, i couldn’t get to grips with the UI but loved the sound my gripe with it was storage and management but this isn’t just the Jupiter all modern Roland synths suffer with Roland’s horrible file structure and management or lack of. Would have loved a librarian for this it was very much missed. I did sell mine and get a Jupiter 50 because believe it or not the UI was much easier i did miss the synth editing display of the 80, the ipad editor substituted for it. The sounds on the jupiter stand out in a mix to me, i had a Kronos and Motif XF but they were bland and didn’t excite me at all.
ScottRS101

Post by ScottRS101 »

I don't have the Jupiter, but I recently picked up the Integra which is more or less the same thing without keys. It makes me wish I had the space for a J80. It's a wonderful sounding synth. The VA section really surprised me. They did a great job on the modeled filters. Very warm. These machines may not do everything but they do A LOT!