Jupiter-80 midi question, split, recording in Logic

Forum for JUPITER-80
openmusicschool

Jupiter-80 midi question, split, recording in Logic

Post by openmusicschool »

Hi,

I have a question concerning midi and midi - recording - for example in Logic:

Let´s say, I´m using a Jupiter-80 - registration like the Bladerunner one (03 - B5)- with two parts (or even three in this case), split in the middle of the keyboard. The midi channels are set up in the system menu with lower on 1, upper on 2 and solo on 3. When I play the registration on the Jupiter itself - everything is ok - no wonder.

But what if I want wo do a midi recording in Logic for example? If midi channel 1 is selected in Logic I can only play the lower part of the registration, and with channel 2 selected I can only play the upper part. By setting up all three relevant parts on the same midi channel number, all parts can be played simultaneously - but, and that´s the problem - only over the complete keyrange of 88 keys. So - no split points there anymore.

So my question is: How can I record split registrations via midi without losing the split-points that are actually set in the registrations and can be used when playing the Jupiter itself. Midi recording one part after the other on three different midi channels is not an option.

You see - that´s the only reason I do not concider buying one of the newer Jupiters, because they offer a similar architecture I guess with 4+1 parts. I know, that the Jupiters are meant to be live synthesizers. But I would love to use them in the studio.

Does someone have any idea?

Kind regards,

Philip
rd3d2

Re: Jupiter-80 midi question, split, recording in Logic

Post by rd3d2 »

I have a related question - perhaps we can pool our resources? I am able to trigger all the user live set list instrument selections over midi from my DAW (FL Studio) without a problem but am struggling to trigger the Registration instruments - I suspect this might be to do with the separate midi channels involved but I only just got my Jupiter (actually a 50) so am quite new to this.

Does anyone know if it is possible to trigger Registration selections over midi - and if so, how?
Attachments
Jupiter 50m Midi Patch Info
Jupiter 50m Midi Patch Info
Jup50Midi.jpg (146.64 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
kimsnarf

Re: Jupiter-80 midi question, split, recording in Logic

Post by kimsnarf »

You can play a Registration (not just separate MIDI channels / parts) from a sequencer BUT you have to turn Remote Keyboard Switch to On (in the System Setup -> MIDI settings) AND you have to use a MIDI cable in to the Jupiter-80, not the USB port. However, you can use a USB to MIDI cable (PC to synth).

I discovered this in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=50914#p289514