Controlling E1 / E2 / E3 / E4 knobs from Logic X

Forum for JUPITER-80
chiswaah

Controlling E1 / E2 / E3 / E4 knobs from Logic X

Post by chiswaah »

Hi there. Been pulling my hair out over this ... is there a way to control the E1 to E4 knobs from Logic, specifically to alter the cut off. I'm sure it must be possible because there used to be an iPad app that I believe did all sorts of stuff.

Many thanks for any info!
Rodan

Re: Controlling E1 / E2 / E3 / E4 knobs from Logic X

Post by Rodan »

Hi Chris,

Don't know how far you have gotten on this. I am not an expert on Logic or Jupiter-80, but I got curious and found out this much. If you haven't done so already, look up "Tone Bender Control", page 61 in the OM. It looks like it can be assigned to at least one parameter, such as cutoff freq. It then is being controlled with knob E4.

Knob E4 is controlled over MIDI by CC79. I can control it from MAX/MSP, so I know that much is working. I don't send control out of Logic, but you probably know how to do that.

Going back to your original question, E1 to E4 can be assigned to Modify-1 to Modify-4. They then are controlled by CC16 to CC19. But that's as far as I've gotten. Don't know what can be assigned to Modify-1 to Modify-4.

Good luck. If you find out more, I'd appreciate if you post back here. Seems to be a pretty small universe of Jupiter-80 experts.

Rodan
chiswaah

Post by chiswaah »

Hi Rodan - thanks, that's great!

The manual is certainly very sketchy on this and really not helpful. Must be possible though because presumably the iPad app could automate the E1 - E4 knobs. Will keep you posted and let you know if I manage to crack it!

CB
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Rodan wrote:Seems to be a pretty small universe of Jupiter-80 experts.
Actually there are quite a few experts, but they were active 5+ years ago when the Jupiter-80 was still in production. A lot of the quirks of this synth were discovered and documented in this very forum. There is gold here, if you can find it.