D 70 lower keys not working

Roland gear made before year 2000
dallaskruse

D 70 lower keys not working

Post by dallaskruse »

The keys lower than C4 aren't sounding on this keyboard.

Ive done some research and am suspecting this part being the issue although I'm not positive.

1. Is it possible to attach this piece via cable glue or another Macguyvered connection?
2. Anyone else seen this issue?
3. Any suggestions?
4. On the top of this Flex circuit, do the connectors need to be silver-looking in order to have contact? It looks like on a few of the connections, the "metal" has worn off.

Valentine10

Re: D 70 lower keys not working

Post by Valentine10 »

I have repaired a D-70 with the exact same problem. If the flex cable in the picture is yours you're in trouble :-)

All the traces are broken on the one in the picture. Unfortunatly it's a very common problem for the D-5 / D-70 / U-20 / JD-800

You can either buy a new cable (the new one is one part instead of two separate parts one of which your holding in you hand) and it costs +- 150 euro. Not worth it.

I repaired my D-70 by cancelling this little flex cable all together and glueing 16 wires on the pcb that is located underneath the keys and soldering those 16 wires to the connector on the other side. Not very easy but it works fine.. I used a special glue called 'Wire glue' which is a black carbon holding glue that conducts electricity.

This is not my photo but I fixed it in exactly the same way:

Hmm big picture.. this is the link:

https://static.gearslutz.com/board/imge ... c47a8b86de