D50 - Battery Change - Now NO LCD/Sound - Help!!!

Roland gear made before year 2000
goodguy

D50 - Battery Change - Now NO LCD/Sound - Help!!!

Post by goodguy »

My Roland D50 was working fine (other than 3 inactive keys, solved by resoldering a trace that affected those keys).
Before battery change, had all sounds and functionality.

While I had the D50 open, decided to change the Cr2032 battery.
Closed it back up and now I get a blank LCD display & no sound. HELP!!!

I can select the upper/lower/value/local buttons and the corresponding red indicator changes next to the selected button. If I select the write or data transfer buttons, I can then only select the value and local buttons (I think this is normal), If I then hit EXIT, I can then re select between the upper/lower/value/local buttons again. So it appears the function logic is working in the background - BUT - I cant see anything on the LCD.

Hard to believe just changing the battery would make the LCD blow out? LCD was working fine before changing battery. Any way to test LCD without spending big $ on replacement LCD only to find out it's fine.
Guessing I have lost something like the Operating System and/or Eprom??

A web search indicates others have had the same thing happen upon changing the battery (but no posted fixes) - so pretty sure it's more software related than hardware (i.e. bad cable, etc ... checked and everything looks connected as normal).

Any ideas that can get me back on track?? Might it be as simple as a reload of software (but blank LCD would indicate its more than just a patch reload or I would have some boot LCD text).

Any help is appreciated.

Whadda you think --- New EPROM, software reload steps (no display to see whats happening), wrong battery (lithium vs other cr2032?), connections or something related to changing the battery (or what to test next).

Note: I did unscrew the main board to change battery and fix keys. But, I unscrewed the main board before with no issues - it was only upon changing battery everything went blank.

HELP!!! I'm stuck and hoping my D50 is not a brick :-(
goodguy

Petr Pom

Re: D50 - Battery Change - Now NO LCD/Sound - Help!!!

Post by Petr Pom »

lets look on 4 example electrotanya.hu or NYWHRE 4 A d50 SERVICE MANUAL. tHERE ISED TO BE RUTINES FOR SERVCE CONTROL, i BOUGHT JUST DEAD D10 ON SOUNDS. iT SEEMS T HAT YOU HACE TO RESTORE fLASHrom TO A FACTORY STATE.)