JD-800 headphone out - one channel is louder than the other!

Roland gear made before year 2000
Sir_Ricardo

JD-800 headphone out - one channel is louder than the other!

Post by Sir_Ricardo »

Greetings -

I've got a JD-800, everything works, and it looks good too.

The issue is that the stereo headphone out sends a stronger signal to one channel (at this moment, I forget which channel) than the other. So, if you start with the volume at 0, and then raise it, one channel becomes audible before the other, and the volume difference between the two channels is pretty significant, until you get to around 9 or so, when both channels have equal volume.

This only applies to the headphone out; the main outs - left and right mono channels - have equal output at all volume levels.

What I'm describing happens whether you are playing a note via the keyboard, or playing the demo song.

Any thoughts why this is? I took the volume slider out of the synth, dis-assembled it, lubricated it, cleaned it, etc., put it back together, and reinstalled everything. I figured that would take care of it. But nothing changed, so it's not the volume slider itself.

Thoughts?

thanks - Richard
JimW

Re: JD-800 headphone out - one channel is louder than the other!

Post by JimW »

Seems the issue is on the Jack Board with the circuitry associated with the 5218 Op Amp IC1. Q1 and Q2 could also be iffy. Check for anything burnt. Could also try re-seating the connections connecting the Bender Board containing the volume slider to the Jack Board.
Sir_Ricardo

Re: JD-800 headphone out - one channel is louder than the other!

Post by Sir_Ricardo »

Greetings Jim - thanks for the reply. I ended up fixing this problem. I found a spare slider pot board and installed it, and the problem went away.

The problem was the volume slider.

So all is well.

thanks!

Richard