xv88 9pin serial to usb

Roland gear made before year 2000
wynpotter

xv88 9pin serial to usb

Post by wynpotter »

I have an old xv88 kb that has been in the colset for a few years and am planning to dust it off and use it again. I want to make a connection to my PC(win 10,16gig, 1t ssd drive) Will the 9 pin serial out and use a 9 pin to usb to see if this can work or do I need a serial to serial card for the pc and does it need any other drivers for the pc. I also plan to get the Roland midi to usb cable as well to see what works best.
This is a great old KB that may still have some years left in it. BTW I have to replace 2 broken keys. I have replacement but also wondered if super glue as a bit of fabric could patch the broken ones as well.
Thanks, hope someone has some ideas on this Wyndham
harmonizer

Re: xv88 9pin serial to usb

Post by harmonizer »

I am pretty sure the thing you think is a 9 pin serial out is a MIDI out port. You might need some sort of adapter/converter box that can take an old-school MIDI input and convert it to a different connection type on its output.
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

MIDI only sends signals such as key-down, key-up, sustain on and off, and so on. If you want to get the sounds created by the XV-88, the most straightforward way is to use the "L" out (1/4-inch audio jack) and connect that to a preamp, where that preamp would have its own connection to the computer probably via USB
wynpotter

Post by wynpotter »

The xv88 both midi in out and thru and a serial (round mini) port rs232c. a switch that chooses midi or pc or mac next to the ports. I currently have 1/4 line out to my mixer and on to a powered monitor. There are several issues I'm tracking down on the xv, sound levels is one of them and need to install latest os from a smart card as well. It's been in the closet too long and if there are other issues I want to plan on correcting those when I replace the 2 broken keys