Roland A-80 repair advice-ideas needed

Roland gear made before year 2000
tedsorvino

Roland A-80 repair advice-ideas needed

Post by tedsorvino »

Hi all.

I bought a second hand A 80 controller. i know it’s way too old and obsolete but It’s a good and very well constructed controller and I really don’t need it for poly aftertouch but mainly for piano duties. I feel like this one deserves some good care.

Things work ok in general. But I’m facing a serious issue.

Some keys seem to travel deeper and making a louder and very dry release noise (comparing to the other keys) especially the middle octaves (normal since they have been used the most) black ones , like there is very little felt cushion below them.
I know it’s a noisy action overall, but these particular keys sound and feel like there is a problem.
Is there any particular felt cushion I could use to replace the old one? Could it be a plastic-rubber key contact issue? Plastic-rubber contact problems usually have to do with velocity.

Since I intent on making any repair myself (I have past experience and quite good knowledge and also because of the excessive weight of the controller) please give me any related advice.

Thanks
devonrose

Re: Roland A-80 repair advice-ideas needed

Post by devonrose »

tedsorvino wrote: 10:27, 5 April 2023 Some keys seem to travel deeper and making a louder and very dry release noise (comparing to the other keys) especially the middle octaves (normal since they have been used the most) black ones , like there is very little felt cushion below them.
I know it’s a noisy action overall, but these particular keys sound and feel like there is a problem.
Is there any particular felt cushion I could use to replace the old one? Could it be a plastic-rubber key contact issue? Plastic-rubber contact problems usually have to do with velocity.
Roger has a video showing an aftertouch mod (which may or may not apply to your unit), but sadly no disassembly of the keybed: Apparently disassembling the keybed requires a special proprietary Roland tool, and you'll absolutely need to get a copy of the service manual to figure all of that out (which should also have more information as to why some of the keys have lost their crispness):