A-88 / RD-64 question

Roland gear made before year 2000
Hans_2000

A-88 / RD-64 question

Post by Hans_2000 »

I have a Roland A-88 and RD-64 and am very satisfied with them. I have noticed that the buttons on the panel can discolour/yellow. What is the cause of this? Sunlight, Nicotine...? Is there anything that can be done to return these buttons to their original state? Thanks in advance for a possible answer.

devonrose

Re: A-88 / RD-64 question

Post by devonrose »

Most likely the flame retardant that they also put in ABS plastic causing the same yellowing over time with UV. As to 'why' the flame retardant doesn't always react as quickly as in other products... that would be due to the ratios they put in the polymer mix apparently. Mixing the wrong ratios causes a more catastrophic yellowing -- and the cheaper it is, usually the higher chance of these 'bad' ratios.

The only fix would be retr0brite (and some UV clear coat would need to be applied afterwards, but since rubber flexes that also wouldn't work well), but I don't know if it's safe to use on that particular rubber: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrobright

The 'best' solution would be to 3D print or cast your own buttons, and then you'd have to make sure the carbon track underneath can still flex. A lot of work unfortunately either way.