XP-50 or 60 Still worth it? Need a board, help please

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
yoshiii

XP-50 or 60 Still worth it? Need a board, help please

Post by yoshiii »

Hello

I used to have the XP-50 but sold it a few years ago when moved to Japan. Now I want to buy another board but can't afford the Fantoms right now. Would a XP-50 or 60 be worth getting again? Would the Juno d- or G's be better? I will use the board for live performance as well as studio recording. I like the built in sequencer of the XP series.

Help
Shyamz1

XP Series

Post by Shyamz1 »

I, myself currently own an XP-60 Board, and i love it. It's got a step sequencer, and the sounds you can create on there are unbelievable. I also own a juno-g but i dont like this board, which is why i only use it for bass. Juno series not so good... i'd say go for the XP series. It's good for live performance as it has quick sound change buttons and is good for recording at home.

Hope i could help.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: XP-50 or 60 Still worth it? Need a board, help please

Post by Artemiy »

It's a matter of taste, I had almost every major Roland synth since 1998, starting from the XP-80. While the XP's have their charm and charisma, Juno-G still beats them on sound capabilities. It has twice the polyphony (128 vs. 64 on the XP) and 3 MFX processors (vs. 1 on the XP). Plus there is a sampler, it can also process external sounds, and there are new features in the synth engine, like the programmable step LFO. If I was to take one budget Roland synth today, I'd get the Juno. I had it for about a year and miss it very much.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Although it's about a week or so that I got myself a new Fantom-G6, I think I'll never put my XP50 aside. It's a love relationship since 1996. It was my first workstation and I'll never forget all the music I wrote with it. I think I'll keep on using it in gigs that aren't that demanding in sound variety.

yoshiii: The XP-series have their own character, that's for sure. I think that's worth it if you can find a model in mint condition. Furthermore, if can find and throw in a few SR-JV80 expansions, it can't get any better.

Artemiy: You're right about the XP vs Juno-G comparison, but as far as I know neither the Juno-G nor the Juno Stage sport an aftertouch-enabled keyboard (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's a major shortcoming for a modern synthesizer in my humble opinion.
korg1

Post by korg1 »

I still have my xp80 at home with pop/world/orchestral and super sound set installed.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

I have Orchestral, World and Session expansions installed on my XP50 and the first things I'm doing is to recreate some of the best patches I created with the XP50, just to have them on my Fantom-G. I need to do some sampling as well, though.
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Hi yoshiii' Welcome to Roland Clan.

I own an XP-80 and I LOVE it!! and I know everything about it’ I do both live and studio work ‘from a purely technical point of view I have to agree with Artemiy 100%.

Given the fact that you have owned an Xp I think you will feel right at home with the Juno-G. It also has an 88-note multi-sampled grand piano compared to the Xp’s 14 Notes.

But you really can’t go wrong with either one.
mirkos

Post by mirkos »

I have motif xs , had fantom xa,nord lead 2 , and fender rhodes mark I ...

... and month ago I finally bought xp 80 . it is great machine.Motif is waaaaay ahead from technical point,but xp is machine that is made for making music . it is more musical than newest motif.

go for it,it is great machine!
KMK

Post by KMK »

I have two of them, just in case I have trouble with one. I only have one set of expansion boards for my keys which kind of sucks when I do need to change out boards for whatever reason such as cleanings, etc.

I highly recommend the XP-60 or 80. They are definitely not the most state of the art, but very practical for live use. The volume, C1, and C2 sliders are very important to me for changing or munipulating sounds in my voices or performances.

This was my only complaint withthe new boards, I just can't get use to those rotary pots.

Kenny
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

yoshiii wrote:Hello

I used to have the XP-50 but sold it a few years ago when moved to Japan. Now I want to buy another board but can't afford the Fantoms right now. Would a XP-50 or 60 be worth getting again? Would the Juno d- or G's be better? I will use the board for live performance as well as studio recording. I like the built in sequencer of the XP series.

Help
I played an XP-60 about a year ago and was amazed at how good and warm it still sounded. The keyboard action was nice as well. Art is right that in the right hands the Juno G has more power. It is what makes you feel comfortable.

I never connected with my XP-80 back in the day Like I did my Juno G. And now I am really loving my Gi. But honestly I am a better player and programmer now.