jupiter 8 questions

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
zzzxtreme

jupiter 8 questions

Post by zzzxtreme »

hello guys, I might have the chance to get a jupiter 8 with 4 knobs not working for about $1700. Never owned an analogue synth before, but I understand they may require maintenance every few months? like they get out of tune? circuit boards needs to be cleaned

seems like a dream, but I don't know really what to expect with this model. I'm afraid if I might get overwhelmed with potential "common" problems with jupiter 8 synth.

any advice/thoughts? thanks!
V-CeeOh

Re: jupiter 8 questions

Post by V-CeeOh »

Well, the Jupiter is MY dream synth but I know I hardly be able to buy one so....
Getting out of tune is a common thing among analog synths and is not particular to the JP-8. In fact that's one of the beautys of it. I'd be more worried with the non-working 4 knobs. Make sure that's no sign of damaged boards and if you have the means to repair it in case that happens.
Barely

Post by Barely »

zzzxtreme wrote:hello guys, I might have the chance to get a jupiter 8 with 4 knobs not working for about $1700. Never owned an analogue synth before, but I understand they may require maintenance every few months? like they get out of tune? circuit boards needs to be cleaned

seems like a dream, but I don't know really what to expect with this model. I'm afraid if I might get overwhelmed with potential "common" problems with jupiter 8 synth.

any advice/thoughts? thanks!
(EDIT: Oh, you posted in March.... well, how did it go?)

4 Knobs not working? Buy it, if it's only that. But as V-CeeOh said, make sure all 8 voices play properly (play 8 notes in a row) etc. You might set some money aside for further repairs, because they WILL happen.
check if there's a dedicated repair center nearby on http://www.rolandus.com/support/service_centers/
(if you live outside the US, check google :) )
It might be interesting which knobs they are - if it's program selection buttons, knobs or sliders...
technology transplant might have some spare parts for the JP-8. But don't buy a broken one (crackling, noise, 4 different sounds for 4 key strokes, etc.) unless you really know you have somebody that can fix it. If so, let him test it.
Good luck! :)
pontefract

Post by pontefract »

did you buy it, cause if not i have one.
Macska

Post by Macska »

pontefract wrote:did you buy it, cause if not i have one.
(I know it's an old post but...) for sale?
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

hello guys, I might have the chance to get a jupiter 8 with 4 knobs not working for about $1700.
So did you buy the synth ??