Roland Alpha Juno 2

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
Tarkov72

Roland Alpha Juno 2

Post by Tarkov72 »

I am thinking of getting a Roland Alpha Juno 2 and am wondering if anyone here has any experience/opinion on it? I'm reading on the internet that the biggest issue most people have is the aftertouch not holding up too well over time. I'm also wondering if it would be difficult to find a place to get it serviced if it needed to be (I don't know much about "vintage" synths). Thanks for any info in advance!
Six One Cynic

Re: Roland Alpha Juno 2

Post by Six One Cynic »

The Alpha Juno 2 is a fun thing, you can inside the sounds quickly and build up and create adequate arrangements, but most are now at-least 25 years old, touched by so many people with hands that can't follow their brains.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Both the aftertouch strip and the key contacts (one for each key) will likely need cleaning. Many people do this themselves.

Most vintage synths have a "patch memory" battery. While it might last 25 years, I wouldn't count on it. The battery is soldered to a circuit board in the Alpha's, so replacing it requires basic knowledge of soldering.

The best choice for purchase would be an JU-2 that has already been cleaned and has had its battery replaced.
Tarkov72

Post by Tarkov72 »

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice!
Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled »

Great synth! Well worth the money they sell for right now.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

I liked them better when they were selling for $50 ;-)
Barely

Post by Barely »

There might be an issue with the membrane keys, check them if you can before you buy.
I got an alpha juno 1, and it sounds absolutely breathtakingly wonderful. You might want to add an effects processor or at least a stereo delay, of course. ;)
at
http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page=26 ... le_id=1895
are some of the best sound examples I heard from the Junos. Sorry, it's in German and you might have to register to hear them ;)
Well, but it. Buy two. :D
Jovana

Post by Jovana »

Hello everyone :)

I need a little help.
I own this keyboard for a long time but it hasn't been used for years. Now I want to use it again but some of the keys are not working. I already cleaned the connectors underneath the silicone rubber membrane but it still doesn't help. Membrane is already damaged a lot and I want to buy a new one.

Can someone tell me where can I buy that? I hope I can find that online somewhere cause I think in Serbia it's impossible to find that in stores. I already tried that. :(

So please tell me where can I buy that? Or if you have a suggestion for some other way to repair those keys that doesn't work.

Thank you VERY MUCH! :)
Barely

Post by Barely »

Hi there ;)
You might want to check here:
http://www.syntaur.com/roland_juno.html
I hope you didn't use deoxit for cleaning, I killed a microkorg with that some time ago ;)
Good luck! :)
Jovana

Post by Jovana »

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :))))))
Mr_Mojo_Risin

Post by Mr_Mojo_Risin »

FYI - A new MKS-50 / Alpha Juno-1 / Alpha Juno-2 website just went live this evening. Tons of stuff here!

http://www.llamamusic.com/mks50/mks-50.html
solidtrax

Post by solidtrax »

Love the Alpha Juno series. In terms of sonic potential it looks be the best vintage Juno. The new Juno-X can do a lot more, but that isn't from <1987. Made a synth only track for it a while ago since we love it so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSOoax-9ie0

All sounds you here are from our Roland Alpha Juno-2. Some of the sounds have been altered in realtime via the D-Tronics DT-300.
solidtrax

Post by solidtrax »

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote: 11:16, 9 February 2015 FYI - A new MKS-50 / Alpha Juno-1 / Alpha Juno-2 website just went live this evening. Tons of stuff here!

http://www.llamamusic.com/mks50/mks-50.html
Thanks for sharing, awesome website for all of the alpha juno series synths.