Juno 106 Problem (advice needed)

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
hangman

Juno 106 Problem (advice needed)

Post by hangman »

Hi I just got my hands on a Juno 106. Everything appears to be working fine except for one problem, it can't save patches (well, they save and remain for a while but after if the synth is turned off and left off for about half an hour they dissapear). I was told that this may be a dead battery in which case it may just need a replacement. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?
Sprockett

Re: Juno 106 Problem (advice needed)

Post by Sprockett »

Unfortunately, a stock Juno-106 has the battery soldered directly to the CPU board. To replace it you have to remove the board, unsolder the original battery and replace (most people replace them with a battery clip so it's easier next time it runs out.) If the original owner already dealt with this it's going to be really easy for you, but if not it's a bit of a pain. Here's a link to a site that describes the procedure:

http://www.dancecrave.com/juno106.htm

Obviously I don't know your tech proficiency, but if opening your synth and removing parts makes you cringe then finding an electronics repair shop would be the safest way to go.

Nice board, wish I hadn't sold mine back in the early 90's. Hope it works out for you.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

These are the Service Notes. Check out page 10 for some information about the battery.
hangman

Post by hangman »

Thanks guys, yeah looks like the battery has never been replaced so it might be a bit tricky but I know a guy who's good with this sort of thing so that should be fine fingers crossed.