help recreating a sound on jx-8p

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
malice95

help recreating a sound on jx-8p

Post by malice95 »

So I'm new to synthesizers.. mainly a piano background. I'm trying to replicate the lead keyboard
riff sound from Europe's "The Final Countdown". I've read they used a Jx-8p to create this sound originally
and you can see the jx-8p in their video from the 80s. I believe they used the stab brass preset sound as a
base but somehow made it more compressed and powerful? I'm not sure how to describe it in audio terms.

I played with my jx-8p last night for a few hours trying to recreate the sound but whatever I did took
me further away from it.

Can anyone give me any guidance on how to recreate it? Jx-8p parameter settings or a spx patch would be awesome!:)

Thanks,
Mike

Link to original sound by Europe
https://youtu.be/9jK-NcRmVcw?t=10s
rsaintjohn

Re: help recreating a sound on jx-8p

Post by rsaintjohn »

Saw this comment on a YouTube video:
Start with JX-8P preset STAB BRASS, then set VCA Dynamics (parameter 63) to OFF, VCF Dynamics (parameter 57) to OFF, and VCF Frequency (parameter 52) to 99.
According to Europe's keyboardist (Mic Michaeli): "The sound of the keyboard riff used in the recording was achieved by using a Yamaha TX-816 rack unit and a Roland JX-8P synthesizer.“I made a brassy sound from the JX-8P and used a factory sound from the Yamaha, and just layered them together.”
raymond

Re: help recreating a sound on jx-8p

Post by raymond »

Yes adding the layer would help.

Adding a bit of reverb and delay would help too. It will sound "bigger" with a bit of ambience.