Juno 106 Patches changing by themselves

Forum for JUNO, JUPITER and JX synthesizers from 1980's
carriages

Juno 106 Patches changing by themselves

Post by carriages »

Hi,

I have a Juno 106 that has been working perfectly for a while now. I use it for gigs and at a recent gig, one of the patches kept changing by itself. It sounded like the attack was increasing. I thought it was unwanted midi messages getting from my sequencer. But today it got much worse. Every patch keeps changing by itself even without a MIDI cable plugged in. Its different for each sound. For some the Cut Off increases, for some the VCA decreases, and for one of them the LFO kicks in. Each time the two little red dots show up on the number to signify that a preset has changed. I thought it might be a low battery so I changed that, reloaded my patches and it was still the same. It's intermittent too so it can be fine for a few minutes but can then keep changing every second. It seems to make the exact same change on each preset too. Is this something that any of you have come across before?

I have two shows in the next week so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Harry
oldgearguy

Re: Juno 106 Patches changing by themselves

Post by oldgearguy »

carriages wrote:Hi,

I have a Juno 106 that has been working perfectly for a while now. I use it for gigs and at a recent gig, one of the patches kept changing by itself. It sounded like the attack was increasing. I thought it was unwanted midi messages getting from my sequencer. But today it got much worse. Every patch keeps changing by itself even without a MIDI cable plugged in. Its different for each sound. For some the Cut Off increases, for some the VCA decreases, and for one of them the LFO kicks in. Each time the two little red dots show up on the number to signify that a preset has changed. I thought it might be a low battery so I changed that, reloaded my patches and it was still the same. It's intermittent too so it can be fine for a few minutes but can then keep changing every second. It seems to make the exact same change on each preset too. Is this something that any of you have come across before?

I have two shows in the next week so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Normally when the older gear is showing a patch has been edited, it's because the synth thinks a slider/knob has been moved. Often this can be caused by dirty or failing sliders. Try moving all the panel controls through their min and max a number of times to see if it helps.

I had a JP-4 that had a similar behavior and it was a slider that had finally gotten so worn that it was falsely triggering a change. Othe rthan that, it could be a component failure in the front panel scanning circuitry (like the sample and hold ICs) or even a loose cable.