D50 strange screen behaviour

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
fddi73

D50 strange screen behaviour

Post by fddi73 »

Hello,
I have a strange behaviour of my D50.
If it does stay turned off for without power cord for 1 week or so, when I turn it on
it behaves like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wwZ9cLj_k

after 20 minutes or so it is attached to the power cord, if I poer on it again it then works.

Could it be a PSU problem or a internal battery problem ?

thank you

Rick
Synthtron

Re: D50 strange screen behaviour

Post by Synthtron »

I do not believe that is a battery problem.
Does it make any noise when you press the keys?
fddi73

Post by fddi73 »

the problem persist but now the keyboard does not really work anymore.

Even after 20 minutes, the display looks always as in the video...

anyone has hints ?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

That does not sound good. Could be the main board. it is hard to say with out actually seeing it. Do you know the history of this synth. How long have you had it? Was it having problems when you got it? I would open it up myself and tinker because that is what I do but if that is not your thing why not take it to someone who knows how to work with electronics.
fddi73

Post by fddi73 »

it was detached from power since many months.
I let it attached to power cord for more than 1 week and the screen - mainboard problem got over.
Now everything works fine.
it is like if this D50 stays offline from power cord longer than 1 or 2 months it has problems to work again
unless I attach it for at least 1 week with the power cord... anyway the internal battery is not low...
maybe aged condensers...
I ought it used, but the aftertouch works greats and on many D50 it has problems, for this reason I never sold it to get a new one. Also the overall key response is quite good

Synthtron wrote:That does not sound good. Could be the main board. it is hard to say with out actually seeing it. Do you know the history of this synth. How long have you had it? Was it having problems when you got it? I would open it up myself and tinker because that is what I do but if that is not your thing why not take it to someone who knows how to work with electronics.
pp10050

Post by pp10050 »

Definitely check for dry solder joints on the Power Supply Board. Looks like the 5volt rail is low.

Paul
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

I replaced the battery in my D50 and now screen is blank and no sound. Ugh....
Was working perfectly before battery swap..perhaps eprom is lost/degraded?

Display is absolutely blank and no activity at all. Keyboard red lights above a couple button light up and switch but nothing else really works.

UPDATE: Thin -12v wire to display must have been pinched putting keyboard back together. Resoldered wire back together and all works. No just to reload via sysex.