No stereo sound out of U-110

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
Sidgoop

No stereo sound out of U-110

Post by Sidgoop »

Okay, this is a weird one. My U-110 has developed something a nervous tick. The mix outputs - individually - work. That is , when I plug in just the Left, I get sound. When I plug in the right, I get sound. But, when I plug in both, I only get the mono out of the left. It's almost like it's disabling the right output. Did something go wonky in the menus?
kiskadar69

Re: No stereo sound out of U-110

Post by kiskadar69 »

1. Each Part has an OUTPUT ASGN parameter, where you have to specify which Multi Out (1-6) to route the Part to. So, for example, Part 1 and Part 2 to Multi Out 1, Part 3 to Multi Out 2.
2. Each Patch has an OUT parameter that tells how many Voices (Wave Generator, "oscillator") will be allocated to each Multi Out. There are 50 presets to choose from. In Preset 21-50, Multi Out 1 and Multi Out 2 use the same Voices. 31 oscillator which you have to assign via 50 presets of voice assignment, that's rather strange. See pages 26-30 of the "Roland U-110 Owner's Manual".
3. If there is no cable plugged into one of the Multi Out jacks, the audio routed to that jack will be routed to the Mix Out jacks. If both Mix Out L and Mix Out R have cables plugged into them, the U-110 will make a stereo sound when routing the Multi Out like this: Multi Out 1 to the far left, Multi Out 2 to the far right, Multi Out 3-4 to the center, Multi Out 5 a little to the left, Multi Out 6 a little to the right. See page 14 of the "Roland U-110 Owner's Manual".
4. If a cable is plugged into Mix Out L and not into Mix Out R, the sound from Mix Out R is routed to Mix Out L.
5. If a cable is plugged into Mix Out R and not into Mix Out L, the sound from Mix Out L is routed to Mix Out R. This is not mentioned in the documentation. So the correct name for Mix Out R is "Mix Out R (Mono)".

This explains why Sidgoop's U-110 behaved as it did: all sound was routed to Multi Out 1 and there was no cable plugged into Multi Out 1.