D70 Factory Reset Card

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
udream

D70 Factory Reset Card

Post by udream »

I lost all my user programs when disconnecting cables to get down to the LCD to change the backlight. The light works, but the D70 isn't useable without a factory reset, and for some reason, Roland didn't include an on-board reset procedure. It requires a Factory Reset Card. I've already tried downloading the midi file that supposedly contains the data, and transferred it without success. I'm now looking for a Factory Reset Card, either for purchase, or to borrow to bring my synth back on line. Please help.
udream

Re: D70 Factory Reset Card

Post by udream »

I contacted Roland about the issue, and they were kind enough to send me a zip file containing SysEx data to load into the D70 (after holding button #5 while powering up and selecting F2 bulk load). Unfortunately, it didn't work. For some strange reason, when I transferred the file from my internet connected Windows 10 computer to my off line Windows XP computer the file icon changed to one that looked like a midi file. My MIDIOX program didn't recognize the file with its default SysEx program. I had to choose an alternate file loader--"Other Binary" or "Formatted"--both contained 521 data errors. I sent the data through my Midiman USB/MIDI interface and saw streams of data transmitting, but the D70 didn't change. On power back up, I get the same message: "No RAM card." I can't use the Midiman with the Windows 10 computer, since the software isn't compatible with it. I hate computers! Anyone have any idea what the problem is?
badwulf

Post by badwulf »

Hi udream
I have exactly the same error "No RAM card" after trying to recover using the SysEx file. This was transmitting from a Windows 10 PC via Steinberg Midex 8. All data seemed to transfer correctly... no errors during process but on reboot, same error.
If I manage to EXIT from the error, the sounds and display are still garbled.
Not sure if it's a bug i.e. looking for a card by default to refresh the sounds from or something more serious.
udream

Post by udream »

I could load in sounds to the Internal memory from a Voice Crystal RAM card, but if I removed the card, and tried to access the internal sounds, I got the message, "No RAM card." Bizarre. I had a Roland RAM card that never worked. I couldn't save any sounds to it, but I decided to test it on a friend's D70. I had failed to transfer the sounds from his D70 to mine via MIDI, despite the fact both synths were set to the same ID number, and used either the one-way or handshake method. The Roland RAM card accepted the sounds from his D70 (using the Internal to Card transfer process). I then inserted this card into my D70 and loaded the sounds into the internal memory. The sounds remained even though I removed the card. I didn't get the "No RAM card" message. It's as if the RAM card served as the Factory Reset card! I'm mystified! Can anyone explain this bizarre scenario?
Petr Pom

Post by Petr Pom »

udream wrote:I could load in sounds to the Internal memory from a Voice Crystal RAM card, but if I removed the card, and tried to access the internal sounds, I got the message, "No RAM card." Bizarre. I had a Roland RAM card that never worked. I couldn't save any sounds to it, but I decided to test it on a friend's D70. I had failed to transfer the sounds from his D70 to mine via MIDI, despite the fact both synths were set to the same ID number, and used either the one-way or handshake method. The Roland RAM card accepted the sounds from his D70 (using the Internal to Card transfer process). I then inserted this card into my D70 and loaded the sounds into the internal memory. The sounds remained even though I removed the card. I didn't get the "No RAM card" message. It's as if the RAM card served as the Factory Reset card! I'm mystified! Can anyone explain this bizarre scenario?
fACTORY RAM CARD keeps table of parameters,aloc Of rom sounds and their names and setings!!
as you reset in ternal flash,(bios IN pc) it has to be recovered, in that times 80s iT was done with service tool you call fACTORY rESET cARD,)
Valentine10

Post by Valentine10 »

For future reference:

I had the exact same problem after replacing the entire display of my D-70. It only showed "No RAM Card <Exit>" and sending Sysex didn't work.

Solution:

Switch off your D-70. Hold the NUMBER 8 button and power on.

It will display: "Clear all memory. Are you sure? (Yes = ENTER)"

After this it displays the Roland D-70 init animation and brought me to the main menu. Still all the patches where garbled but now I can press EDIT and F5 (system) without it displaying to "No RAM card (exit)" message. This somehow reset the OS so it now boots normally and all the menu’s are accessible. Now press EDIT and then F5.

Set ‘Exclusive Rx’ to On and ‘Unit Number’ to 17. There is a hardware switch on the back of the D-70 to protect the internal memory. Set it to OFF and load the sysex from your computer. Use the widely available D-70 sysex file. I used Windows 10, Midi-ox and a Roland UM-ONE cable. If you get buffer overflows set the transfer rate in Midi-ox to very slow.

This fixed my D-70. No need for any factory data cards..