U-220, access to PCM cards

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
Onerous2

U-220, access to PCM cards

Post by Onerous2 »

Hi,
I would ask you for help. I bought some pc rom cards for the U-110/220 (no 9, 10 and 14). Now, I don’t know how to check if they are functional. Simply, I do not see them through the U-220's menu, or I do not know how to acces. I went to manual and I was not smarter. Thanks.
little-island

Re: U-220, access to PCM cards

Post by little-island »

Hi. I think it's like the U-110, which I have. Here's how it works for me, hope it applies to you:

First, you gotta know that the external cards contain TONES (not patches); therefore, to use the tones, add them to a patch.

HOW-TO:
For each of the 6 parts (voices) in the patch adjust these settings:
* Tone media: I (for Internal sounds), or number (1-30) for external cards (use card number not slot number)
* Tone #: Which tone on the selected media should be used?

It goes like this on the U-110:
1. Hit Edit, select Patch > Part > Bas.
2. Change the "I" (for internal) on the bottom left to the Card Number (the number after "SN-U110-").
3. Then change the number after the dash to the tone number.
4. Hit Exit 4 times

For example, I might use my Super Strings Card (SNU110-13) to start creating a patch that uses a pair of sounds (11-SUP STR 4L and 12-SUP STR 4R) together like this:
Patch Name: Super Strings 4
Voice 1: Media: 13, Tone 11
Voice 2: Media: 13, Tone 12
(Other voices have output set to OFF)

Then tweak the volume, effects, etc. to your liking.

A very handy set of lists of the tones on the cards can be found here:
http://ohta.music.coocan.jp/packen/modu ... /index.htm

You can also create maps that assign numbers to external tones so you can send program changes that use those tones. But that's another story!

I haven't found any (working) patches/banks/maps online that use those tones yet, so if anyone has a source or is willing to share, please LMK! (At this point I'm thinking about shelling out the US$80 to get the MIDIQuest version for this synth.)

Good luck, and hope this long rambly post was helpful