D70 Aftertouch and sound design

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
udream

D70 Aftertouch and sound design

Post by udream »

I purchased my D70 brand new when first released. I'm ashamed to say, I haven't done any serious programming until now (30 years later) Ugh! One confusing thing is that when an edit is saved in a different location than the original, the LCD display returns to the original location, unlike a computer. One has to select the new location to do further editing on that saved program.
I originally thought that the attack and release parameters in the "patch" section altered only the amp envelope, but they alter the filter envelope as well.
I was stumped as to how to change the LFO rate when assigning aftertouch to the pitch in "Performance" edit. The rate is set in "tone" edit, while leaving the amount of LFO pitch mod at zero in tone edit. By assigning aftertouch to LFO pitch mod and to the VCF, then add a lot of reverb, one can get a solo sound similar to Vangelis' CS-80 signature sound.
I recently created descent patches using the analog waveform samples--square, pulse 1, 2, & 3, triangle, and saw. The best patches combine these analog waveforms and the acoustic samples. (The Jupiter Pad + acoustic string ensemble is a good example--"Slow and Low".)
The filters are quite good. An excellent steel string guitar patch can be created by using 2 tones made from the "acoustic guitar" sample (original tone)--one with Low Pass Filter, and other with High Pass Filter. Additional tones can be added to spice up the initial attack.
While I'm usually adverse to menu-diving, I've passed the learning curve on D70 sound design, and am pleasantly surprised by what analog-type sounds the D70 is capable of producing.