D-10 keyboard problem

Forum for D-50/550 and other D and U synthesizers from 1980-1990's
Potless

D-10 keyboard problem

Post by Potless »

Hi all,
I have a problem with the keyboard on a D-10 that does not seem to have been addressed anywhere on the net so far....

Here's what's happening: I get no response whatsoever from the keys when the SYNTH button has been pressed and its LED lit, however they DO respond perfectly when carrying out the keyboard test shown in the service manual.

The RHYTHM section is working fine.

I have checked the button battery which reads around 3.4V, and tried tightening the CPU pins as described by others on various forums, but to no avail.

The power supply voltages are within specifications, and flexing the main board does not make the fault temporarily disappear.

Would anybody have any suggestions as to what might be at fault?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Christian_64

Re: D-10 keyboard problem

Post by Christian_64 »

One possibilty would be that your "MIDI Local" setting is set to OFF.
20230311_183730.jpg
20230311_183730.jpg (6.23 MiB) Viewed 736 times
As described in the owner's manual volume 2 (advanced), pages 116, 121 and 122, the "MIDI Local" setting can be set to OFF, and in this case, the messages from the keyboard performance is ONLY send to the MIDI OUT, say to control an external device such as another synth for example, and it completely mutes the rest of the D-10... meaning it will not produce any sound from the keyboard, BUT, it will still be able to produce sound from a MIDI IN signal (from an external sequencer, for example).

So that could be your problem, but what bugs me is that the manual says that this setting is set back to ON, by default, when you power up the D-10.
Do you still have this issue or does it mysteriously dissapeared when you powered back up your D-10 ?

Chris